1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Retail Edition

Discussion in 'Software' started by David13, 17 Apr 2017.

1. David13

David13 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Many moons ago I bought the Windows 7 Retail edition. If I am correct I can have it installed on one PC at a time but the license is valid forever.

A hypothetical question, as it is upgraded to Windows 10 if I were ever to build a new PC can I uninstall the OS and then install the original Windows 7 and purchase a upgrade to windows 10?

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

if you build a new pc - just install windows 10 on it and reactivate it. If you've done an upgrade you have a license attached to your account and you can change the hardware on that, Ive done it a few times.

3. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

As stated above.

Just install Windows 10 from scratch with the code you installed 7 with originally and it will activate with no head aches at all :)

4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I got to try that when I get home, I replace motherboard and lost my activation, did want to go back to 7 and didn't want to pay for 10. Been running with the activation notification in the bottom left corner for a couple months now.

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

this is the page you need:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12440/windows-10-activation

6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

The advise on the Microsoft's website didn't help, as I do not have a Microsoft account and thus have not linked the digital license to my account.

However, as Behemoth pointed out, using my retail Windows 7 license key allowed me to activate windows 10 on my new system. I assuming this only work since I perviously migrated the license from 7 to 10.