1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics retro style

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tipsterb, 30 Sep 2002.

1. tipsterb

tipsterb What's a Dremel?

hello,
    i want to make a case, which in the end is going to include a network card, and i would like to do is to solder 2 wires or more, i dont know, to the bottom of the network card were the lights are, the kinda led bar thingy, and then at the other end, put on a retro metre, an Analogue one.

I would basicly like to know, if it can be done, in the sense nothink will blow up and if anyone knows if i dont do anythink extra other than wire it up, like resistors etc.

also, would there need to be sumthink special about the analogue metre when i get one?

thanks,

btw sorry for the bad english and probable spelling mistakes

2. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

i think i know what your saying, but i dont think the output will be strong enough to power whatever you attach to the ends of the wires

happened to me, i moved all the status leds to the front of my case into specially made holes in a spare floppy bay, used orange + green for activity, when tried a bl00 did not power up

perhaps output can be increased using some magic or transistors or i dunno heh

:)

3. linear

linear Minimodder

Don't need magic, a suffiently sensitive ammeter will do.

Which is to say an ammeter with a large enough shunt resistance.

I'd take a stab at it with a multimeter set to 20 mA range and see how that behaves. Then replace with a panel milliammeter in a suitable range.

Save the magic for when you really need it. ;)

4. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Or you can simple de-solder the LED add wires and replace it where ever you want.

5. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

i knew linear would save the day, you electronics whizz you :)

6. tipsterb

thanks, ur a big help - erm, are they going to be readily gettable, and fairly cheap does anyone know in the uk? thanks - also fairly small? - cause i really want to fit em in a cd drive

Last edited: 1 Oct 2002
  7. tipsterb

hello again, sorry, but does anyone know were to get on sensitive enough in the uk, cuase i cannot find one. maybe im looking in the wrong places but....., thanks