1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development returning the last insert id of a sepcified table?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Draxin, 13 Jun 2007.

1. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

I know that i can use the mysql function LAST_INSERT_ID() to return the last auto-increment value that was created, but is there a way to specify the table?

say if i had a database with 2 tables `foo` and `bar`.

an insert was just made into `foo` by user 'a'
    before that user 'b' made an entry into `bar` now if both users access the database througha website and thuis chances are by the same user name, if i called LAST_INSERT_ID() wouldnt that return user 'a's insert into table `foo`?

but what if i wanted to know the last insert id in table `bar`?

Any one know?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

If it's an autoincrement value:

Code:
    SELECT MAX(idField) FROM `table`

3. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

That's what I was going to say -

If the id is some strange alphanumeric hash thing that can't evaluate that way - you could always add a date-time column to your db and use that in your select.

4. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

its just a big int so that works great, thanks guys

5. DougEdey

I was kind of expecting a weird situation from you, didn't think it would be this easy :p

DTE: I didn't think you could make an AID with non-ints?

6. RTT

RTT #parp

Selecting the max value is a really nasty way of doing it. Since MySQL already knows what the next auto increment should be, just use the SHOW TABLE STATUS queries and minus one number from the next auto_increment's value

7. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Yeah - I just realized that that's probably not possible. I use an application that has a 30 character alphanumeric thing on every record of every table - but thinking about it I'm sure it's handled at the app level - not the DB level

8. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

What happens if you have deleted the last entry? surely the auto inc value is still the same but the last entry is actually auto_inc - 2 etc? I.e not a guaranteed way of getting the latest entry?

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Yep, not guaranteed, but neither is using MAX, if you think about it (for exactly the same reasons he outlined in the first post) ;) He really needs to be introducing table locks... or not designing a system that depends on knowing the last insert id :D

10. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Only problem with that is it returns lots of other data which takes time to gather. show tables status like 'blah' on one of our larger innodb tables took 9 secs compared to 0.02 secs for a select max(primary_key).

11. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

12. nachofault

nachofault What's a Dremel?

I take it this is not a high transaction volume system? If so, there are better ways to tackle this problem.

13. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

i just wish there was somthing as simple as LAST_INSERT_ID('table_name') <yes i looked in the doc's and no its not that easy.

ok i missed something when stating the question. and i feel stupid for forgetting it. I just need to know the last insert id of the data just entered because it affects the forign key of a row that will be inserted into the database making the upcoming insert a dependent of the row that was just inserted

i guess the only way im going to get the exact ID number i want every time without fail is after the data is entered run a query for the row ID number but query it using all the data that was used to insert it, thus the only thing that should come back is what is expected.

There has to be a better way

14. nachofault

A lot of systems manage the keys in the code instead of within the database. This typically involves having a table that tracks the tablenames, the next key value, and the number of keys to hold. Then in the code, you track the tables and keys...and once you run out of keys you go back to the table and extract the next number of keys for that table.

tablename nextkeyvalue keyrange
    ---------- ------------- --------
    ...startup of system...
    person 51000 500
    ...need more keys....
    person 51500 500
    ...need more keys....
    person 52000 500

15. DougEdey

16. RTT

RTT #parp

:eeek:

17. nachofault

Is this thread safe? I had problems with this, but admittedly it has been a few years since I tried that approach.

18. DougEdey

What I think it is (from what I've just done) is that the first time I ran MAX on a table with 1.6m records in it, it took 0.97s to run.

But after that it runs in 0.00s, so I think it's an optimization thang.

nachofault: not sure, can't run it here as my tables no longer use autoincrement

19. RTT

RTT #parp

mysql cache, i would imagine. if the table hasn't been altered since you last ran it anyway...

20. DougEdey

Altered it a few times by adding records.