1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Reversing polarity of flyback transformer?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by star882, 16 Sep 2005.

1. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Is it possible to modify a flyback transformer with an integrated rectifier to output negative voltage instead of positive? It's for a negative ion generator.
    BTW, I'm thinking about carefully cutting near the side where the cable exits and reversing the rectifier. How easy is that?

2. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Can't you just search for an older disk shaped flyback? They're usually much more beasty and don't have the rectifier inside. Trying to reverse the built in rectifier is quite a big hassle and it's very easy to lose the HT winding when it snaps in the resin...

Why not use a simple Cockroft Walton voltage multiplier feeding a simple ion accelerator to produce lots of ions/ozone.

3. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

I do have some other flybacks without rectifiers (which are smaller and more appropriate for my project). But I need a negative output of about -10-15kv DC at a very low current to generate negative ions. Is it easy to extract the rectifier from a flyback?

4. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

I'd use a Cockroft-Walton network too. You could probably drive it with a CCFL inverter board or something maybe?