1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Reviewers hate the RIAA

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Jan 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

SO true...

3. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

what a bunch of idiots.

4. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

well at least the RIAA are killing themselves so we don't have to

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what the f***? they are alienating their reviewers? either they crapping inside or they are eating spoons full of smelly brown stuff.....

6. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I think this sort of move goes to show just how a) desperate, b) out of touch and c) lacking in intelligence the RIAA are nowadays.

As said before -- nothing we need to do anymore -- just sit back and let them kill themselves! :)

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

reviewers are evil, because a positive review leads to better sales, and better sales = less reason for the riaa to exist.

that or something similar must have gone through the riaa's distorted minds when they came up with that complete bs idea.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

And when the reviewers stop reviewing, they'll blame that on piracy too.

9. plagio

plagio What's a Dremel?

You are kidding right ?

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

"itsa me mario!!!!!"

11. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

All in all sounds like a very stupid idea BUT:
    The reviewers needs to review music, thats their job, if they refuse to review music because it's got Italian voice overs then the publication (whether website or magazine) will find other reviewers who will review the music because they need the reviews to sell. I'm sure that most reviewers will scream, cry and shout and then 99% of them will continue to review what ever the music industry sends them. One thing is for sure, music with voice overs will be a lot less attractive to pirate than movies with a bit of scrolling text.
    So all in all, however much we hate the RIAA this might not be the dumbest thing they have done to date, from a "stop the piracy"-point of view.

12. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

lol i agree. What are they thinking? ... but we dont know what kind of pressures are coming from distributors to have the problem 'fixed'. The RIAA are probably scrambling around like a bunch of pikeys fighting for a new caravan to find something to enforce to show the world that it is doing something. All in all i find it quite ammusing to see what they are going to do next.

peace

13. Notional

Notional What's a Dremel?

How completely retarded are these people?

Well now i want to pirate this album, just to hear the Italien voiceover :D

14. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

I just love the RIAA. I don't think I have ever seen a corporate entity hang itself so publicly. Just one more step on the gallows for something that should have never existed in the first place.

15. Andune

Andune What's a Dremel?

Soon game reviewers will get copies of games only playable for two minutes before they selfdestruct...

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I had pulled a copy of Type O Negative's "Life Is Killing Me" album a few years back on torrent, and it had fade-outs towards the end of the track stating the artist, album & release date. I thought it was an interesting way of advertising. I, of course, went out and bought it as I always do with Type O's material, but I just couldn't wait for the new album (if anyone's familiar with their work, they tend to put one out every 4-5 years so it's a LOOONG wait for fans).

This RIAA scheme is a new high in low.

17. lessthanjake

lessthanjake What's a Dremel?

This is nothing new, there have been voice stamped cd's doing the rounds for at least 5 years, the retail version of this cd was released may 2003 and it was not even a hugely commercial release.

18. Tuxcat

Tuxcat What's a Dremel?

The RIAA has nothing to do with it

The reason the voice on the munged record has an Italian accent is because -- and this will astonish you -- Frontiers Records is an Italian label. Being an Italian label, it is not a member of the RIAA, which represents U.S. record labels.

Blaming every stupid thing any record label does on the evil ol' RIAA is dubious anyway. The RIAA is a lobbying organization, not a governing body. But when the label in question is not, and cannot be, an RIAA member, it's just plain idiotic.

And I might point out that the reviewer linked to in this article did not make this error and doesn't even mention the RIAA. Sometimes it's better to find out what you're talking about.

Not that pointing this out will make the slightest difference, of course.

:wallbash:

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Is this really such a bad thing? These aren't production copies of an album. They are review copies handed out to a select group of people to be used as such. If the middle of a song features a voice over for a couple of seconds, does it really ruin the entire album? Does a professional reviewer rely on every single note to create an informed opinion about a song?

If a studio wants to add protection to a review album, I don't have a problem with that.

-monkey

20. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Oddly, I have to agree here - Frontiers is indeed Italian, so that portion makes utter sense. What I'm curious about is whether the label does indeed come under the RIAA blanket for business here in the States - I'm looking into that now.

Though I will go against what you say about lobbying - the RIAA is a lobbying body, but it is also the key governing body of the industry. It started out its life much like JEDIC - it devised technical standards for recording methods and frequencies. Then it expanded...and more... and more...

EDIT:
    http://www.riaa.com/aboutus.php?content_selector=aboutus_members

Nope, not a member in proper sense. However, worth noting that the RIAA is the 'managing body' for the collection of royalty fees for foreign labels in the US. But I wonder how that works if the label were to choose not to be a part of it?

Tags: Add Tags