1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News RIAA does it again, sues family with no computer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 25 Apr 2006.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The proposed bill covered on Cnet(sorry Bit) is rather unfortunate for you US guys. It seems in about 10 years Linux will be illegal, if the companies get their way. I mean, so many tools people know, love, and use on a regular basis would instantly become illegal. Horrible horrible piece of legislation(and unsurprisingly, the congressman who's proposing the bill, gets most of his campaign funding from content providers). As someone said on slashdot, whats sickening isn't that these guys can be bought and sold, but how cheaply they can be bought and sold.

I think the RIAA will be gone in 50 years, and that brings me comfort. That, or they'll rule the world. They're just like the ice vendors going out of business when the refridgerator was created, they have to adapt or die, hopefully they'll all do the latter.

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

This is sad. Truely sad. Next they will sue amish people for selling downloaded DVDs and arrest deaf people for downloading MP3s.

3. kickarse

kickarse New Member

This is the reason there will always be an underground societies...

The MPAA and RIAA are associated with companies who produce and develop the music. I think in the future that people will continue to feed, exponenentially, Indie music and movies because the companies themselves aren't associated with the RIAA or MPAA. It's going to be a whole stigma.

All I can say is that don't make a good movie or create a good song if you care that people will will "steal" your music or video's. It's life. Get over it.

I think, though, that this will shift the quality of Indie films and music to something even better and will tank the "blockbusters" and "grammys" of Hollywood.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Last I heard, they still hadn't dropped the charges agsinst the dead grandmother (btw the story has resurfaced, so don't repost it as it's the same one from a year ago)

Moving my arse to canada soon methinks. If that DMCA-2 (I think it's like the IPPA or something) doesn't scream "Police State", I don't know what does.

Did I mention that I think campaigning should be illegal? IMO it should just be names on a ballot, and a booklet in the booth with their position on the issues. And FFS, get rid of the stupid party system. Anyone voting by party instead of by the electee's (???) stance on the issues really shouldn't be voting imo.

5. Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg New Member

Seriously why let retards lead an association like that ? I means such action even a dickhead would figure out that it's wrong, what's the problem with those guys ? And the proposal law just remind me of the age old joke that you should cut off ur little johny cause that's a tool for raping, for god sake give us a break.

6. TheColdLord

TheColdLord New Member

OH s**t!!!, what are these ppl thinking?? This is just insane. How can you sue a familly that dosn't even own a pc, not to mention an internet connection. I know, they are all freakazoids and they take the the music off the internet. This is wack, these guys should be locked away and have the key thrown away.

The cnet deal, well what more can we say, there are very many morrons living among us, and these guys are the best in this domain of stupidity. :duh: :duh:

7. speedfreek

speedfreek New Member

Nice writing guys. :thumb: it looks like these guys fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down, then a branch broke off and fell on them, then the stupid tree uprooted and fell on them, after the stupid tree was cut up they got hit by a 2x4 made from the stupid tree.

It just makes me want to beat them, in the face, hard, with a sledgehammer, a 14 pounder.
    Hmmm, there are decks in cars that can do that, there are stereos that can do that, every computer in the world running almost any os that has a cd drive or is capable of having a cd drive can do that, anyone with any of the trillions of versions of cd ripping software can do that, anyone who knows how to put a cd into a cd drive would be thrown in jail. I have 3 different programs that will pop up asking to rip the cd after I put it into the drive, from large companies even. Would their programmers get arrested for knowing how to write code to rip cds.

Enough needless ranting for now, they probably cant even read anyway.

8. das_mod

das_mod New Member

when i first read the title of this article i was like WTF :eyebrow:
    now after much thought and considerations im like :D

what a bunch of idiots they are .... :p

9. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Lets hope the family sue the RIAA into oblivion!

Free downloads for all :D !

10. scq

scq New Member

Yes. So stop the thoughtcrime!

11. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

bunch of morons

anyway how would they know if your "filesharing" over your networks

surely that would be invasion of privacy and stuff

Also - knowing how to rip a cd - so they want to arrest 3/4 of the world's population (atleast)

12. CoolFox

CoolFox New Member

Come down, its 1984!

Seriously... when its illegal to know how to copy music, things are getting scarry. Next thing we know, it will be illegal to talk to a person that knows how. I wish I was joking.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2006
  13. Stuntman

Stuntman Member

.... >.> Is there anything we can do? How do the common people get a hold of a situation like this? Call our senators? There has to be something more effective. I would sugest murder, but then again, I might get arrested for even thinking that. These kind of situations are total ********.

Not only that, but look at these as well.

http://news.com.com/Could+Hollywood+hack+your+PC/2100-1023_3-945923.html?tag=st.bp.story
    http://espn.com.com/Congress+readies+new+digital+copyright+bill/2100-1028_3-6064016.html

14. sadffffff

sadffffff New Member

15. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i bet they wont even apologise in the end

The world is just becoming stupid

Edit
    Omg !!
    Second link
    Their blaming this on terrorists

My god, the world really is becomming a nazi state

16. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Again, all I have to say is RIAA are stupid. The whole RIAA idea is ****ing stupid.

End of story.

17. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Whatever happened to human rights. On the basis of the proposed legislation, anybody who went to school can be arrested for knowing how to make a bomb. Am I a murderer just because I know that a knife can be used for murder? IMHO this organization along with most of the US government needs to grow up and stop treating us like cattle if they expect to be taken seriously. Oops... there we go I've said it! I am now going to write my will as they will undoubtedly want to extradate me and put me guantanamo for 80 years for terrorism.

ed-out
    P.S: sorry for the ramblings

18. xyz_sport

xyz_sport New Member

After this and the dead grandmother, it's only a matter of time till the RIAA start suing artists for having "illegal" copies of their own music.

19. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

lol

Unfortunatly that is not getting far from the truth. Good to know that the thought police will come get me if I even KNOW how to do something illegal.

Well good luck to you morons who are trying so desperatly to hang on to the past before new school methods of copying and sharing content existed. No matter how hard youve tried over the last couple of years all it has gotten anyone is a bad name for the industry, and rightfully so.

It seems to me that you are screwed if you even buy a real copy of anything. Ive seen some discs that are so heavily infected with DRM crap they wont even play in some players. They assume you will do something illegal with a legal copy, and assume you are a theiving pirate ******* if you download it.

They can try as hard as they want to stop us, there will always be an underground. No matter what DRM they come up with, someone will break it. That has been the story for 2 years or more, and always will be. So im not worried.

20. CraZy

CraZy Cöstom úser tætel

...so this is an only USA thing, or a world wide thingy.. ?

Tags: Add Tags