1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News RIAA fights neutral hard drive examiners

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 4 Sep 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

No judge with an ounce of common sense could think that the RIAA are far enough away from the case to be independant - bring in someone else.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yeesh.

Yeah, I can see the RIAA being objective if they test that drive. Like bloody hell I can. :wallbash:

A Third Party should always be used.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Are Sony related to the RIAA?

Seems as though they both seem to be shooting themselves in the foot.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Don't like the story? Don't buy the RIAA music.

6. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

i'd happily counter sue if they tried this. what about all your personal data. etc, whos to stop them looking at that.

I certainly wouldn't let anyone one touch them unless I was also there to observe and I think a judge would be crazy to give them this.

7. TheEclypse

TheEclypse What's a Dremel?

The RIAA are definatly biased, so are the defendants, obvious answer is to get the courts to employ an independent party.

8. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Jeez......I expect nothing less from the RIAA.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

RIAA are not human. they are not logical. it is impossible that they still exist.

10. quack

quack Minimodder

A neutral body should definitely be involved. The RIAA only stands to lose if there's nothing found... probably what they're most scared of. I really hope the judge has some common sense.

11. matt88hezzy

matt88hezzy What's a Dremel?

As If.... i can agree with them wanting to examine the hard drives, but without a 3rd party being involved IS NOT right, for all anyone knows is that they could PLANT the supposedly downloaded material back onto the computer. i think the RIAA should be sued for viewing and/or mirroring the persons hard drive without a court order!

thats not only a breach of privacy, but what if you work for a company such as Microsoft, just at home, and your working on projects while downloading 'illegal' material, would'nt the company sue for breaching the security of the project? (as well as firing you).

to bring up one more thing, how would the RIAA react if you personally, viewed and mirrored they're hard drives?? i would love for someone to do that and post it all on the internet, just to see they're reaction!!

12. draxar

draxar What's a Dremel?

They're human. They're the money and stock owners behind music. Thus they're after making as much of a profit as possible. They're also likely mostly relatively older, and thus somewhat stuck in their ways. From their perspective the music market has worked in a particularl way for the last 30-40 years, it should stay like that, cause that's how they make their money.

They're the big money behind music. The ones who fund stuff, and who controlled what music we listen to. And they're seeing the system slip out of their control. It's that loss of control as much as the supposed loss of earnings that they're worried about.

I thhink you may be getting the two stories referenced mixed up - there's the main story - that the RIAA wants to go through this person's computer and that person wants an independant group to go through it instead. There's a reference to a previous story - that someone else got told by a different court "Your hard drive is evidence, don't wipe it", and that person ignored that order and wiped their computer (rather strongly suggesting there was something that shouldn't have been there), and in that second story, the RIAA mirrored their hard drive to show that the offending material was there. Even if the RIAA hadn't done that the person would likely have lost the case and/or been brought up on some sort of contempt of court charges, cause when a court tells you not to do something, that's what you have to do.

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

No, because they would then have to go into court and say what that secret was and then it's no longer a secret. As far as I know, even if they were willing to try that, the only thing they could sue for was breach of contract unless they could prove malicious intent.

14. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Will the RIAA give it a RUCKING FEST??? (Invert the two first letters of the last 2 words if you don't get what I'm saying here). We need to pull up some kind of huge contraversal case against the RIAA and sue them for all that they've got, therefore doing to them, what they are doing to people without computers...

15. Havok154

Havok154 What's a Dremel?

Actually, yes. They are a part of the RIAA.

16. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

The RIAA is completely object and unbiased. I fully support their requBWAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA

I tried, but I couldn't.

17. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Mr. Wolf says: "why yes Mrs Sheep, you can trust me with that tasty little - erm - I mean - you can certainly trust ME with your kid :-> :rolleyes:

18. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

doh... I thought it was common practise to bring in third party examiners... I wonder what would happen if we'd stop buying AND downloading music... that way riaa would have absolutely no other way of accusing anyone else except themselves for the loss of income... I'd say stop buying and downloading... listen to the radio instead... that would hurt them the most... cus if they can't sue anyone to cover their losses then they are bound to make more REALLY BAD moves and some court would have to bash them big time... and yes... innosent artists would suffer from this blockade... however if they'd put some heavy words against riaa then there might be hope after all...

19. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

but the RIAA (and the BPI in the UK and other industry associations around the world) still get money even if we just listen to the radio.
    In fact, they probably get more money from radio stations than from consumers. This is because the radio stations pay a royalty to the record company each time a record is played plus (in the UK at least) they have to pay an annual fee to the BPI to allow them to broadcast the music.

So if we want to hurt these associations and their members, the only way is to give up music completely - and that will include watching any TV programmes that use artists' music (as opposed to music recorded specifically for the programme).

Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

The only way these associations are going to get their powers curtailed is if a government decides to step in and stop the lawsuits.

Don't hold your breath.

20. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

yes I know they pay to be allowed to play the music... but it would still cut the record industry income to a fraction of the normal... (those greedy *******s)... though convincing 5 billion ppl or more to stop buying and downloading the music would be near impossible... but if they would even consider that possibility then they migh stop and think things over before running over their customers like some sort or mafia or totalitary state power...

Tags: Add Tags