1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Ridiculous Amazon/City Link Delivery System

Discussion in 'General' started by Bufo802, 24 Dec 2012.

1. Bufo802

Bufo802 Member

Ordered a laptop and few other bits and pieces for Christmas from Amazon on 13th December, still not arrived today with tracking not making any sense with planned delivery date 15th and parcel scanned as leaving and arriving at the same depot on the 14th and 17th.

Had no reply to a message I sent to city link so just phoned them (enjoyable 40 mins of music to listen to...) to be told that they received the parcel after the planned delivery date (which apparently comes from Amazon, despite their tracking showing they received it on the 14th) and so they couldn't do anything with it unless told by myself or Amazon... without letting anyone else know :wallbash:

Seems a ridiculous system, surely if you can't make the first delivery date you just go for the next possible time it can be fitted in? And why is it Amazon who specify the estimated date - I ordered with free delivery so would have thought that would just be as soon as easily possible or something like that?

Anyway will hopefully get it on the 27th, but a bit annoying when ordering something on the understanding it would arrive by Christmas. Amazon have always been good in the past for me as well, though I think everything else I've had was delivered by Royal Mail.

Was wondering if anyone else had encountered a similar system or whether City Link were just making an excuse for forgetting about it in the corner of a warehouse somewhere?

2. Omega Point

Omega Point New Member

I would think CityLink were just making excuses, if their tracking shows them recieving it then they did. Also any exception should show on the tracking system, even Royal Mail's does this, so it should show the item being held while waiting customer contact.

In future you might want to contact Amazon once the item is 2 days late, if it is tracked delivery they will chase it up for you and you should get a refund on the delivery.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That's CityLink making excuses. I've had Amazon packages miss the hand-over cutoff, and they're simply picked up the next day. Yes it means they're a day late, but it's automatic.

Saying that, Amazon seem to have switched to CitySprint in my area, which I appreciate as they knock on my door at 8am just before I leave at ten past.

4. thelaw

thelaw New Member

Last edited: 24 Dec 2012
  5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

So what ? It's not like it's only them. UPS, DPD and probably all other are overwhelmed as well. My package ordered on 19th is still waiting to be picked up by UPS; thankfully it is not a christmas gift.

6. thelaw

thelaw New Member

That said Faugusztin, when you order something two weeks before xmas on next day delivery you would expect it to arrive well before xmas...

It seems that however now society has moved from buying from the high street onto online retailing the courier companies have failed to keep pace with the xmas period uplift in orders and getting overwhelmed with the shear number of e-orders and its only going to get worse year after year as the number of online orders grows...

Reality will be soon be OP that if you order online for xmas, order no later than the 31st of Nov....

7. Bufo802

Bufo802 Member

I know it's not unexpected that there are delays, but if you're told something will arrive before Christmas it would be nice if it did. Most annoying thing is the laptop I wanted dropped to the same price as Amazon in PC world the day after I ordered it....

Also ordered some running shoes from Wiggle late Friday (not for Christmas or anything just the only place which had them in stock) and they arrived this morning (with Royal Mail), seems it is possible to have a functioning delivery service over Christmas.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Unfortunately that is the current status. AFAIK one of the biggest eshops here in Slovakia had an increase from average 5000 orders per day up to 30000 orders per day in last week before Christmas, and unfortunately courier services were unable to cope with that (and with increase from other customers as well).

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Well-Known Member

The really odd thing is last Monday evening I ordered via Amazon from Amazon not a seller.

Used free Prime service item delivered Wednesday.

Few weeks before ordered from Amazon, free delivery up five working days, received Wednesday same week.