1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Rise of the Tomb Raider Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 30 Jan 2016.

1. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Looking forward to the OSX port

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

AMD drivers updated today guys, with Crossfire support :)

3. Vault-Tec

Apologies for the double post but oh my this game is absolutely breath taking @ 4k. The new drivers work wonders for it. I decided to use FXAA as AMD recommend against using the others in Crossfire but with everything maxed I am getting an easy 45-60 FPS. I took a couple of screenys, they'll probably be wrecked by Photobucket but whatevs.

[​IMG]

Not a great one if you're not in the dark but the hair just looks sooo much better than before.

[​IMG]

With TressFX the hair always seemed to flicker. Even ever so slightly, but that was part of the charm as it made the hair look very dynamic and alive. Now though? it's as smooth as anything.

Stunning game, and congrats to AMD for resolving the issue quickly, unlike Fallout 4 which looks a little bit like this for me with Crossfire enabled.

Some more work needed there, perhaps :D

4. TechTaku

TechTaku What's a Dremel?

Really looking forward to getting around to playing this! I've got about twenty or so other games to get through before I tackle this, so hopefully good drivers and some updates arrive before I hit the install button.

The game is absolutely beautiful though!

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

23 comments on a Tomb Raider game and not a single sleazy reference to the heroine's "assets"? How refreshing.

6. megamale

megamale Minimodder

Hey Vaul-Tec, I am running crossfire on overclocked R9 290s and I am getting 25-30fps on high/medium. I am running eyefinity 5760x1200 (which is less res than 4K) and the latest drivers.

What are you running and what settings did you use?

7. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

It's a great game, BUT I've a disability which affects my coordination; basically, I can't do QTE's at all. Even one. So one may it be, (or few a far between, anyway) means that this game is a no go.

Unless there's a way around 'em; can't get keyboard macros, gaming keyboard software (my K70 won't do it) ad either will my Steelseries gaming mouse!

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

IIRC Vault-Tec is using a pair of Fury X cards and a 5930K (I'm sure I read that in another thread).

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

pc per demonstrated massive frame latency spikes occurring at regular intervals on AMD cards with this game which weren't happening on nvidia cards. I'm not sure what the story is now with drivers and updates etc. Just something to keep in mind.

10. Vault-Tec

Hi there, sorry for the not very timely reply. As mentioned I am running a pair of Fury X with a 5820k @ 4.4ghz. In the pics above I was running the game completely maxed out and was getting mid 40s-60FPS however as soon as I progressed on from that level I showed in the pics the game started to stutter, crawl along and crash (even leaving my PC unresponsive for about two minutes whilst it caught up).

I did some reading because I initially thought the game was broken but it turns out that I was using more VRAM than I had to give (so much for 4gb of HBM being enough) and so I have had to dial back the settings to all on high except the main detail setting which is still on very high.

AMD also advise against using anything but FXAA in Crossfire X. Using anything above that can cause stuttering.

Normally (like I was with BLOPS 3 missing all of the extra settings because of the 4gb limitation) I would be a bit peed off but the game still looks absolutely stunning using the new settings.

Tags: Add Tags