1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics riser cards?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dylAndroid, 31 Mar 2008.

1. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

Hi,

Does anyone have any insight into riser cards? I want to build a narrow/low profile computer, so that I can easily take it and the rest of my desktop gear on planes with me.

The system needs a discrete graphics card (PCIe x16, no SLI shenanigans), and I may or may not want a separate internal card for sound.

Some specific questions:
    * Do riser cards sap performance?
    * Some riser cards use ribbon connectors, allowing for more flexibility in positioning. Does this have performance/EMI/heat/lifecycle/etc issues (I hate those 'etc' issues...)? And do they really add flexibility, or are they just stiff or fragile?
    * Is it going to be feasible for me to install both a PCIe and a PCI riser card on the same board? The board's probably miniATX, and you can see why I'm curious about the ribbon connector risers already.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of another way to build thin computers with a full size card or two, I'm all ears.

Also, if anyone has a thread or some info to point me to about narrow case, normal performance desktops, it'd be appreciated.

I won't be building for at least half a year, unfortunately. On the other hand, this will be my first full system build, and first custom built case, so more time to research parts and invent awesome features!

Thanks for your help!

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Properly made risers wont affect the performance. AFAIK lifecycle wont be a problem as long as you don't constantly flex the ribbon. Now I wouldn't go putting a 8800GTX in there as there will be some signal degredation as the signal has to travel further and has to go through two connections. As for having multiple cards yes it is possible, you can get double height risers. I have 2 PCI risers for my ITX cases.
    The riser cards are used in Dell GX systems and they last quite a long time so as long as you have adequate cooling for the cards it should be fine. Also don't forget there will be reduced airflow under the cards too.
    One last note, riser cards are expensive, and that is because the trace lengths have to be exact to keep the signal in sync.
    Make sure you make a project log when you do make this.

3. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

Thanks r4ch3t!

What you were saying about the 8800GTX and signal degradation, was that just about riser cards that use ribbon, or all riser cards in general?

I'll definitely be putting up a project log when it's time to build. It's an interesting challenge for me, because what I'm planning to do will require not just making a custom case, but also a carrying container system, with a way to securely integrate the monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables, and possibly the surge protector. At the same time, I want to make it quiet, energy efficient, and affordable. I don't need the deployed form to be super compact, so I may make the transportation briefcase transform and combine with the core computer case to do some silencing tricks. Using the case as a heatsink also interests me, though this is tricky to do without increasing the case weight significantly.

And there's no way I'm doing all that and not putting together a project log!

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

With the riser there are two connections, one when the riser plugs into the board and one where the card plugs into the riser.
    An 8800GTX should be fine its just that with the GTX it uses a lot of bandwidth, and the more bandwidth used the better the signal quality needs to be.
    Plus with a GTX it produces quite a bit of heat and since it will be pointing down there will be less airflow to cool it down.

Looking forward to the log, a briefcase mod sounds interesting.

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Slide over to eBay and search for "mini-itx". Riser cards for right, left, and straight for about $2 with $6 shipping.
    A thought.
    John