1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Robbie Bach: "PSP is a cautionary tale"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Sounds like another attempt to stab Sony, to me..

But then, my PSP is used chiefly to transfer files from my PC to the produo memory sticks, because I'm too lazy to get a card reader >.>

3. zelox991

zelox991 Wanna-Be-Modder

apparently he didn't get one on his hands

4. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd New Member

I've been thinking about getting a PSP for a while now (to be honest it is quite the sexy looking device) and so I borrowed my friend's PSP and rented a few games to see what I thought. The short answer was that I wasn't impressed. I tried what supposedly were some of the better games for the PSP and came away just generally un-enthused. As a music player it was alright and I definitely wasn't interested in tracking down UMD's to see how it was at playing movies on the go. The screen really is quite nice but my Zen Vision: W has the same size/resolution screen and it has a 30 gig HDD so I guess I'll just stick with that for mobile entertainment. I'm sure the value of a PSP increases exponentially if you have a PS3 (I've heard there's some neat things you can do with a PSP and a PS3) or if you find a way to run homebrew apps on it though.
    I doubt anyone could make the claim that the PSP has been unsuccessful, the sales figures certainly don't lie, but I can't help but feeling that maybe with a few truly "killer" apps and maybe less Sony proprietary-ness going on it could be doing better.

I certainly think Microsoft is doing the smart move and staying out of the mobile gaming market, the target audience for a system like the DS is much larger than that of a system that would combine Xbox style gaming with mobile gaming. They would have to create something that would be technically more advanced than the PSP and therefore cost quite a bit more than the DS, the games would most likely just try to emulate games that have been successful on Xbox platforms (FPS's) and most likely not succeed. Consumers looking for something like that would most definitely be better off just buying a laptop.

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

Put a 32gb , ssd in it, hdmi connector, usb connector, blue tooth, sd card slot wifi, windows mobile 6.1, multi touch screen, 3G phone, 200h battery life and you get a good psp.

O wait thats 'almost' a HTC smartphone!

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've quite enjoyed the games I've got on my PSP... but aside from impulse purchases of things like Everybody's Golf, I either got them free with the handheld (Wipeout) or they're JRPGs. My DS I've had for less time, and I've already got more games for it - although they're mostly JRPGs too. :D

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

At least be a little realistic. No battery in a mobile device would last for 200 hours of use. Plus the fact that Sony will only use their own Memory Sticks for expandable memory. It has wifi built in and can be connected to your tv, plus it has a usb connection, too. Why put an ssd in it, when games are sold on umd?

A multi-touch screen would be very cool - I don't know how cost prohibitive one that size/res would be atm though. It's a pity it doesn't have bluetooth built in, as you could then use it with a mobile phone and surf/play online anywhere you liked (although, the browser works but the interface is still a little clunky - this is where a touchscreen would be beneficial, amongst other uses).

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

at the end of the day, most of what he's saying is true, and as Sony's first hand held venture they've not done too badly (although they really should have looked at what the market really wanted before hand, poor research there)

the biggest issue with the PSP IMO is the lack of original games. I've never been a huge fan of the PS2 games and thats really what's only release. call it a PS2P and that's what it is. there's only one game on the PSP that i want for my DS, ghouls and ghosts!

9. diasam

diasam New Member

Microsoft doesn't know that people usually mod their PSPs... If you see what you can put in your MS after you mod your PSP, it is the best handheld console in the market (Games + Music + Video + Internet Radio + PSPTube +Other Homebrew = WIN)

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

you have to wonder why not having any onboard memory is such a disadvantage when it has flash memory slots. i mean, what's the difference between this with an 8gb memory stick and an 8gb ipod nano from a memory standpoint? if you ask me, with the PSP you can easily change the music/movies you have without syncing!

it's not a BAD device - codec support for videos is good and it has some decent games. it's just not a GREAT device. I'd like to see what sony manage with a PSP2; they stand to learn a lot.

11. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

Don't forget about Skype. Very neat feature if you ask me.

12. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Do you want to read what you wrote. You want original games on psp but want old remakes on DS? and thats better? Because that game is not original.

There are plenty of original games and the PSP is far more advanced than the DS and yet people are disapointed? Those people should go design there own handheld then.

Talk about propriaty, the DS does not let you play mp3s and surf web out the box. You got to buy propriety game cartridges to do that.

People talk about the UMD as a propriety media format, well what do you think the DS game cartridges are?? You cant use them on anything else.

13. LoneArchon

LoneArchon New Member

You can play video and music from the flash card in it unmodified state. Both Video and audio are very good on the PSP. But i can't see how microsoft made that point that it was an error look at the best selling current handheld the DS it doesn't play videos or audio. Battery life with the new slim and the 2200mah battery is 10 hours which is not bad.

14. themax

themax New Member

Where did he get "mostly PS2 ports" from? If anything popular PS2 franchises have recieved their own entries in the form of original PSP games. Daxter isn't a port. Chains of Olympus isn't a port. Liberty City Stories wasn't a port. Agent Clank isn't a port, I can go on. I'm not saying the PSP hasn't recieved ports, but even then those ports have additional content but it definately is not just a PS2 port machine.

You can also play video off the flash memory...where did he get requiring only UMD from for video? The PSP definately has it's fault but this guy should have done more research before trying to take a stab at Sony's first try at the handheld. Has Microsoft already forgotten that they were new to the industry as well? Let alone they don't even make a handheld. They seem to trying to hold hands with Nintendo alot lately.

15. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I'm done with Sony products (apart from their beautiful TVs!). I bought a mini disc which was great but died a death with the advent of mp3. I bought the PSP and liked some of the games and features but again its just a little lacklustre becuase of the crappy formats; UMD and memory stick. The best purchase I have made over the past 2-3 years was an old gamecube which gets brought out for multiplayer with friends, a distraction if our friends bring kids over, a quiet gaming bout on a Sunday afternoon and entertainment when one of us is off travelling and the house is feeling a little empty. On the strength of that I'll probably get a Wii in the not too distant future (I'm just watching the games releases for it at the moment).

16. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

The PSP is a pretty decent piece of kit of a portable multimedia device. But, it isn't great at any one of those purported roles, either.

17. Grinch123456

Grinch123456 New Member

Any PSP which doesn't have pokemans is intrinsically inferior to any Nintendo handheld made in the past 10 or more years.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

cant beat playing FF7 or soul blade on it. my DS is gather dust and has been for getting on a year now.

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

So what happened to the current PSP sales in Japan, where the PSP is pasting everything, including the Wii and DS? Unsuccessful? Hmm...

The PSP itself does a decent job. You can rip DVDs to play on it, it'll play MP3s and so forth - all backed up by the now-cheap MemoryStick Duo. So the statement of "only getting video via UMD" is a total lie. Sure, UMD is a failure, but most people just drop their .avi files over.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

20. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I just want a really great side scroller game like that old arcade game... with the jet that had a million weapons... bah... when are 'games' going to be fun again? Im sick of these retarded photocopied games with new names.... where is the gaming industry heading? where are the real games that should have been made? when will great ideas not be butchered by ceo's who only want copycat games?

I give huge kudos to nintendo for original content and ideas. Want to really have some fun? Get a Wii and play the tennis game with 4 friends or family... now THAT is fun...

Tags: Add Tags