1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Robot Wars - IT'S BACK

Discussion in 'General' started by Snubbs, 13 Jan 2016.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I imagine the weight limit is 250lbs = 113kg

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

So, Apollo. OK a flipper but thats got some lift to it!

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I haven't seen this week's yet. I hope to catch up later, was it good?

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Im just glad storm 2 is out, Its Tornado 2.0 as I called them. Robot wars is about doing some actual damage not pushing people about. ( Well aware it does damage to the internals but thats not exactly carnage)

I remember it loosing to typhoon at the end of the last wars the judges scored it a 0 for damage done. ( Cause its weapon did nothing, They were forced to fit a weapon going into season 7)

5. legoman

Yes, quite amusing if they nail the chain drive it'll be very interesting.

An yes I think it used the apparently very fast flipper twice maybe? It looked slow as well. Disappointing for the amount of money they poured in.

6. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

it shouldn't be to difficult, just add a Lip to the sprocket to stop the chain jumping off

also im very happy to see the return of people having a go at the house robots XD always nice to see them take a tumble, i didnt like the commentator 'this is the first time we have ever seen this' ahem are you forgetting all the old times the house robots were turned over ? firestorm even got Mr Psycho over once ( although with killalot hitting McDonald's before this season id be surprised to see anyone flip him )

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Quite enjoyed this week's episode, there was some nice damage in a few of the matches and Apollo created some brilliant moments when they decided the house robots needed to be put in their place.

Storm 2 was very disappointing for the amount of money they spent on it, I was constantly moaning at my TV that they should switch the weapon... they could have at least given the chunky spinner a go for one match.

PP3D was quite a nicely designed machine, the low placed spinner was effective in most of their matches and caused some nice damage. I really enjoyed the battle against Eruption with the force of the spinner sending both robots flying away from each other, that match really showed off the power of the weapon.

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

The rules changed around season 7 requiring all robots to have a weapon. Storm 2 have fought tornado and from memory its the ep where tornado fell in the pit and the pit rose so the fight continued. The TV shots made it look like the pit was just lowering at that point. Unless I'm getting my bits mixed up

9. legoman

I think they didn't use the other weapon on strom2 as they kept coming against flippers which I can understand. But it makes for very dull viewing, least Apollo were out to have some fun.

Im wondering if we will see any fights with spinner on spinner action that would be vicious to say the least.

LG, the lip would work well that or a guide plate or return roller akin to the panthers front inner return.

If im right the Apollo guys said they can flip around a tonne in total, Sir killapastie I doubt is that and is slow so could go for a tumble. That or Carbide can rip out his tracks as someone else has done in the past.
    Do like it when the house robots get picked on they seem more style over substance as you never get to see what they "could" do.

Random thought, look. Its Killalot before he got weapons

[​IMG]

10. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

^^ IIRC they used leftover parts from a mini-excavator. if you go back to the earlier series they have 'The Sentinal'
    [​IMG]
    which is a mini-excavator without the tracked segment. its just The Turntable with the hydraulic arm ( which didnt move as the Hydraulic pump was removed, i believe SirKillalot's was the chassis that turntable was originally mounted to, with the hydraulic pump then powering his claw

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

That was hilarious - fantastic entertainment by Apollo this week - flipping two of the house robots. :D

Such a shame to see Eruption go out - they just had some bad luck.

12. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Dullest robot and team award goes to Storm 2. Bring a weapon next time and actually use it.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Storm 2 is just boring, Tornado had similar style and issues. Razor crushed tornado before they started to cheat anti pit cage rings a bell. Plenty of teams have spent money and lost in robot wars. Razor in the early days how much did that cost to make it never got out of first round on multiple occasions.

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It was never quite clear why Storm 2 weren't using their flipper. It clearly worked, and they fired it several times to self-right and when NOT under their opponent, but they never actually used it to flip anyone.

Neo-Killalot is 750kg IIRC, so in theory Apollo could flip them. The question is whether the flipper structure would survive the attempt.

15. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Indeed 750Kg is what I remember Kill-A-Lot being, but im not sure if he still is as im not sure if he is still driven by a petrol engine like he used to be, As i remember once he managed to get set on fire and im not sure how much health and safety would like that now.

16. legoman

That wooden dozer thing had a petrol motor to drive one of their weapons.

17. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I don't know what drives him, but he does weigh 750kg in this series. I assume he is an all new robot like the others.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i think a few of us missed the episode on sunday, a decent episode with a few highlights. fire being one :)

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I remember when there was proper destruction of the robots, I'm mostly disappointed with this iteration of the program

20. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Well I think that's down to it being maybe a more level playing field. We only had consistent destruction in the first few seasons of the original show too, after that people worked out that adding proper armour is a good idea. With the higher weight limit we're seeing more people using thicker plate armours, which are very resistant to all but the most powerful weapons, which will only be on a couple bots (like Carbide for instance).

I think it also doesn't help how short notice the sign-up period was. Arguably that means probably only the good, pre-existing robots and the really rubbish ones make it in. You'll only see the crappy bots being utterly obliterated for the most part, and even then only against the best of the pre-existing ones. I think with a longer prep time you might get more average robots, that would likely add to the destruction pile a little.