1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock Xtreme SLI notebook - dual 7800 in a laptop!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 9 Mar 2006.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

looks a bit silly to me. no practical use. for that money u'd be better of getting a nice desktop and perhaps a small cheap laptop for portability

3. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Yeah, I think the article is correct by saying that its more of a 'We just stuck two 7800's in a laptop :rock:' than anything actually useful.

I personaly wouldn't buy it, even if I had the money, I simply don't need that much graphical processing power on-the-go, even for a lan.

I'd much rather a 17" TFT and a Shuttle.

4. stereophonie

stereophonie New Member

When you say you can't use this thing mobile is that because of the weight or because they're is no battery?

5. RTT

RTT #parp

..and the size of the bloody thing :D

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

jezus this thing is huge, no way thats fitting in a normal laptop bag without your arms falling off!

It next to the 20" Widescreen monitor is mental.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The pictures do it little justice to show you the SHEER SIZE of the damn thing. It's IMMENCE. You HAVE to see it in the flesh to just gasp at the expance of plastic across the desk with what appears to be a teeny tiny keyboard in the middle of it all. It's like reaching over a football field to type a letter.

8. MightyMouse

MightyMouse New Member

:jawdrop: Me Want

But no way I'm ever going to but it. Not even if I had the money. But if I was offered it as a gift I'd take it in a heartbeat.

It would be a great computer for a student that doesn have any room for an actual PC. But then agian students are usaly broke.

9. [sinz]

[sinz] New Member

I think there's a small third group in there somewhere, to which I am a member, and that is those who think that it's a fantastic proof of concept if nothing more. The images of the internals of that laptop astonish me. The engineering that went into making it work (let alone the engineering behind regular laptops) is quite a feat. I have little use for a system like this usually (though my recent 3 week stay in the hospital would have been a bit nicer if I had one of these :D ) and wouldn't buy it with that massive price tag as I'd prefer to build a desktop I can tinker with, but I think it's a great business move for Nvidia and Rock to be able to say we're the first in yet another area and it's also quite nice to know that options such as these are available on the market. I can't wait to see what else we're in store for in the future.

10. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

If I had the cash it would be mine.

It rocks (sorry), you would be buying a little piece of history!

17 28 33 38 39 44 (please win on saturday)!

Nice showcase!

11. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

Friggin HUGE!

That thing is just too massive to haul around. I love the sli in a notebook but its just too big and too exprensive to be practical. Even if I had that kinda cash I would bypass it. I marvel at the engeneering inside that thing, thank you bit-tech for taking those inside shots. I still can't get over the sheer massiveness of it. Not for me but one nice piece of kit.

12. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Like the guy in the Hefty Bag commercial

lol

13. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

Nice, I can't say I don't want one but laptops should be like MacBooks and those slim Vaios not 50 inches of pure volcanic heat!

14. Peanut[UK]

Peanut[UK] New Member

It looks ace, and the engineering is impressive.

But I'm in the "meh" camp when it comes to actually wanting to own one. If I had that sort of cash to throw about, and wanted portable desktop, surely it would have to be a shuttle (they do SLI now, don't they?). Even with monitor, kbd and mouse, it'd weigh not a lot more.

15. vts

vts New Member

This is one of the most pointless things i've ever seen, although i'm so glad they made it.

16. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly New Member

"We made what you asked for...so how many do you want? Two hundred? Twenty? Two? One!?"

17. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

...45 minute battery life? And with that, you don't even get the full tech benefits of the laptop.

Someone go ahead and remind me what the point of this thing being a laptop is again?

If you say an all-in-one gaming machine that you can LAN with -- how many people enjoy gaming on a trackpad? And laptop keyboards are far too cramped to properly game for hours on (though for me, regular layout keyboards are too. Only settle for an ergonomic ;))

18. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

This is definatly the laptop for the regular LANgoer who doesn't want to have to carry a desktop, especially if you don't have your own car. As a person who went to boarding school, where we had to clear out the rooms every half term, this is a machine I would have bought, much easier than having to constantly move over my rig from home to school up and down huge outdoor steps and across 300m to my car, even if the laptop is a little heavy.

With that size and very limited battery, I wouldn't call it an extremely big laptop, but rather an extremely small computer with inbuilt UPS! Imo, there is a market for this kind of thing, although 1 GTX is enough.

19. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

It would be useful for some LANs, as sometimes you don't want to carry your whole system about, but I can see it getting annoying after a while. When gaming, laptop keyboards are uncomfortable, and you would still need an external mouse. You would spend a lot of money on this, and then after a couple of months, think "damn, I coulda had an FX60 rig instead."

20. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

They could have saved some space and not put a battrey in, with that amout of graphical power 2gb is rearly a must. It rearly is massive though, fill sized keyboard :O

Tags: Add Tags