1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock Xtreme SLI notebook - dual 7800 in a laptop!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 9 Mar 2006.

1. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

All I can say is WOW!

I'm curious though, since the thing is so Freakin HUGE, why didn't they up the size of the keyboard a bit. I mean there is definatley the room to put it.

Also I have a request - Would it be possible to see a pic of the laptop next to something other than other laptops? I mean I can see how big it is compared to them, I have no reference as to how big the comparison systems are. Maybe a pic with someone holding it up?

Assuming it can be lifted.... :D

2. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

I vote for a scale pic next to a cd.

Also, who the hell needs that kind of power to be mobile? It is nice to see a laptop with a numpad though, and not just a damn Fn button.

3. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Wow.... I bet that thing is like twice the size of my notebook and about four times as heavy. Cool that they put SLI in a notebook though.

4. jo2k

jo2k What's a Dremel?

2 words:

Tsar Bomba

5. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Wow, this is like deja vu. I remember a thread where soneone said "whats next, sli in a laptop." Anyway it looks to be a good lan party machine, a lot easier than carrying my cables, tower, and 21" crt.

6. Endoxus

Endoxus What's a Dremel?

Yeh i could see a market for this kind of power

firstly it would be a great lan machine, no need to take lcd's cables etc. you could be set up in 20sec, more time for fragging! (and i dare say it would outrun most of the machines there)

Second, this machine would have a strong niche market with 3d professionals. a few years ago i shelled out about the same amount of money for a VAIO that was about the same size, same battery life, same screen size, and featured a full P4 HT processor (not some mobile chip) why? because i was doing high end cad/video editing/image editing, and i needed something that i could take around to different jobs and meetings. i could see that this laptop would definatly fit into that same market.

7. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

We should all congratulate Rock and NVidia for creating the worlds largest, most beautifully crafted, and most expensive, door stop ;)

8. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

IMHO it's senseless to have SLI in a notebook.

The feeling is better on a normal PC.

9. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

dude i was thinking the same thing.

I think it would have been best just to put a really tiny battery that runs for, say 3 mins, incase the plug gets unplugged

I really think they should just make it into a "wall computer", ie have the screen on the bottom, no hinge or keyboard, just mount it to a wall and connect a mouse and keyboard ( and maybe a small stand to use as a regular 19 lcd

10. bobzebeam

bobzebeam What's a Dremel?

I am buying one

Yes I may be a nutter, but its perfect for me! I am a PhD student with dyslexia so the big screen is a big plus. I use 3ds max to create 3d architectural reconstructions, so need the graphics power. Dont always want to go in to uni to work, so I needed a portable solution. This is that solution! :rock: Yes it costs a **** load, but it is next gen engineering that is simply amazing. When I see a machine like this, I just thank the US government for shooting down that spaceship at Area 51 and steeling all its technology lol :naughty:
    Any way, I know its for a small market, but there is a market, even if its only me! lol :thumb:
    Plus its not just to create graphics, I also love to game and enjoy the rich textures now possible with high end systems.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2006
  11. bobzebeam

bobzebeam What's a Dremel?

yes mate, thats why Im gonna get the beast, plus I love a good game too!

12. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

This seems like the coolest notebook, right? Yeah, the price is high, but I think its reasonable for everything in the rig. I mean its not marketed as a budget machine. This is bleeding edge technology here.

So, understanding that, what do I see people complaining about?

45min battery life. So what? I have never had a moment where I've wanted a laptop and not been within plug-in distance of a power outlet. Even in the WITCC cafeteria I could find a socket if I wanted. If I'm not around a power socket, that probably means I'm not in a place that I would want to be on my laptop in the first place.

Weight. Again, I don't see the problem. Anyone who has been in a high school lately or has a high schooler knows that back packs are far heavier then any laptop. I'm in college my back pack is only 10lbs less then it was in high school, weighing in at a nice 30lbs. The laptop, with a battery, is just shy of 15lbs. If you get a backpack or pad the sling on your notebook carrying case, then 15lbs really isn't that heavy.

Size. Again, I don't see the issue. It takes up about as much room as a LCD monitor and full-size keyboard. Unless you're going to use this on an airplane or in the car, I don't see the issue. (Besides, the bigger issue if you're using it IN YOUR LAP would be the next point.)

Heat. I admit, this is a good point right here. Five fans? And they're there for a reason? Hmm... Must be a warm machine. Which I'm not surprised. And I know alot of gaming notebooks get hot now. I remember a review for Voodoo's newer machine that said it could double as a waffle iron or a blow dryer at Wal-Mart. (www.maximumpc.com/2005/12/voodoo_envy_hu7.html) Since the only cooling device (Vantec LapCool2 (www.maximumpc.com/2005/08/vantec_lapcool2.html)) was rated a 3/10 because it only recirculates the warm air and doesn't bring in cold air, I could see this thing roasting your legs. But if you set it on a desk, or a TV tray, or the floor, you should be fine. But I have no proof that it's super-hot, a friend just mentioned the thought in passing, and it was something that I hadn't considered. So, yes, I would worry about the heat.

In the end, it's like the article said: People get it or they don't. I guess I just get this machine. I mean come on: 512mb dedicated video, 19" monitor, and its PORTABLE? :eek:

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Heavy? Naah. It just hovers at desk height on the levitating thrust of those five fans. :D

14. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

:hehe:

15. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

touche`

Tags: Add Tags