1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rockers Flex BitTorrent's Muscle

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 23 Mar 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Bands are turning to BitTorrent to release their latest numbers, according to Wired, as they are finding it increasingly difficult to get their stuff on more mainstream delivery channels due to the glut of non-music programming:

With MTV and VH1 now crowded with programs like Date My Mom, The Ashlee Simpson Show and Celebrity Fit Club, there's little room for music videos, especially from independent artists.

That's why one up-and-coming group, the Decemberists, opted to release its new music video, Sixteen Military Wives, for free using BitTorrent. The high-quality video file has logged more than 1,700 downloads since it was released over the weekend.

"For the most part, MTV and VH1 won't touch video unless bands have sold a huge number of records," said Dawn Barger, manager of the Decemberists. "It's impossible to get rotation."

BitTorrent provided a way for the band to efficiently get the video out without paying a lot of money for bandwidth. The group also hopes to gain exposure from fans passing along the video to others.

More here

What? BT being used for music in a legal manner? I'm surprised that the combined forces of the RIAA and MPAA haven't disappeared in a puff of logic as they tried to work that one out... :D

2. Brew

Brew What's a Dremel?

Only if all bands started doing that...

3. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

I should make a site for this... ahhh the possibilities...

4. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

they are the inovators... more bands will follow

It would be great if bands released a few traks out of their albums on bit-torrent like shareware so people could legaly try out an album before buying. :idea:

5. Brew

Brew What's a Dremel?

It always seemed wierd to me how some bands are so anal about it. Seems like the more exposure you have the more people will come to your shows. Like that, they just got themselves a lot of free advertising. Hard to go see a band if you dont know who they are.

6. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

I plan on doing this when I finish my album (hopefully sometime in Spring/early Summer, but I keep having to push it back.) Although I'd originally just thought of getting it out on LimeWire and whatnot, but this is even better. As an incentive to actually buy the album, I would like to throw so multimedia content on there as well, budget and time permitting.

The sad thing about the music industry is that the vast majority of bands don't really mind all that much. It's the RIAA and other groups (the ones that actually recieve the bulk of the bands' money) that care. It's a bit of a nasty game: to make money, you need to sign a decent record contract, but then the RIAA and it's little monkeys come in and take most of it anyways. Unfortunately, too many bands are so excited about signing a contract, that they fail to read the fine print or think ahead, and end up signing away most of their publishing rights (which is where the bulk of their money comes from.) The bands generally get to keep around 25% of their total income, with the rest going to the record label. This, of course, depends on the terms of the contracts, but again, too many artists are too eager to jump the gun when signing a deal and aren't thinking of the future ramifications of the contract. The Beatles are an excellent example of that: because of poor business decisions, Paul McCartney doesn't own any of the Lennon/McCartney song rights...and when they came up for sale in the early 90's, Michael Jackson bought the rights to the entire Beatles catalog. So whenever you hear a Beatles song on a TV or radio commercial or advertisement, guess who gets the money for granting the rights to use that particular song? I'll give you a hint...He's a freakishly pale black man with a plastic nose and a propensity towards small children and farm animals.

7. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Well, using BT doesn't get you anymore exposure. My band has an mp3 player on the website that plays 3 of our songs in rotation, which is adequate for a taster. We only charge a couple of quid for the demo and a fiver for the split EP, which is a perfectly fair price. We wouldn't have a problem with using BT for distribution, just that we don't see that it would be beneficial.

8. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

It'll work for this band only because people will read these articles then type the names of that band into the search engine for the bands stuff, so these upstarts will still need to get there name around for people to see to content otherwise no ones gonna search it for the material. still it's a step in the right direction. :rock:

alot of bands play their stuff on their sites as "tasters" e.g. The Donnas (gotta love the little dancing band on the header), Muse

Tags: Add Tags