1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Rocket engines!

Discussion in 'General' started by hydrogen18, 14 Sep 2003.

1. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

Before any of you ask, I am not attempting to strap a rocket engine to my car. My real goal is to make a rocket powered boat(think aluminum fishing boat with single seat at front, jet ski steering, and a bigass rocket engine in the back). At the moment I am trying to make a small rocket engine for a little boat(non solid fuel).

I have done a lot of research into rocket design and theory. I even sawed up a propane canister and put a simple nozzle on the end of it to spray the fuel and some holes to cause the rocket to "inhale" air. Unfortunately this design does not benefit from the burning of the fuel(propane)much at all.

What I need help with at the moment is designing the rocket body. How do I calculate the dimensions of the rocket? I dont need super precision in the intial design, so simple percentile figures would be fine. Also, how do I begin the ignition proccess in the combustion chamber? I'm thinking a spark plug would be good.

Any other links to resources and tips are appreciated!

2. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Yes, spark plug is the way to go.. as for dimensions it's pretty much try it and see... although I will suggest using Diesel as a fuel, it has a higher BTU that propane, also propane bottles freeze as they let out gas which reduces pressure to a point where the engine no longer sustains. However, to use diesel you will need to implement a glow plug to start it up or to start the rocket on propane then switch to diesel. Once the combustion chamber and the flame tube are hot the diesel won't need preheating anymore. However, not one to want to rain on your parade, without a well engineered nossle, and near perfect combustion, even for a large rocket using a truck turbocharger (unless you'r going for the pulsejet approach) you'r not going to get much thrust, not nearly enough to propel you at speed.

Home made rockets are fun and dangerous, but not very thrusty... *awaits thrusty comment from Penski*

3. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

diesel.....hmm....requires a fuel pump....what about using acetelene?

Last edited: 15 Sep 2003
  4. penski

penski BodMod

*Taps microphone*

Um...Would you like to see how thrusty my rocket is..?

*bows*

Seriously - good luck, dude - you're gonna have to be very tight in your manufacturing tolerances.

*n

5. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

first off, what SORT of jet you looking at?

6. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

For a boat I wouldn't look at using a pulsejet, as most are not throttleable which could be a bit nerve-wracking at speed :p

7. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

I'm going to screw around with the idea of a rocket engine for a while. But I have another idea, converting a turbo charger to a turbine engine. All I would need to do is take the exhaust half of the turbocharger presumably, force air into it(via combustion), and it would spin, then just connect it to axle powering a prop or wheels(/me contemplates turbine powered bike). For extra power I could rig up the intake side of the to blow into the area where combustion occurs! It'd be like turbo charging a turbine engine. For any1 curious my idea is nothing like this project .

8. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

9. madhatter

madhatter New Member

s'good,

but it's not exactly rocket science is it.

:idea: wait... it is!

10. Sid

Sid Banned

Would love to work on something like this but don't have the tools or the time :(

hehe, look at this engine I found on ebay, if it's working, it's an absolute bargain. What a beast.

11. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

I was in welding shop while they fired up a turbine engine in avionics class yesterday. Talk about loud.

Tags: