Windows Rollback w10

Discussion in 'Software' started by PaulJG, 9 Nov 2017.

1. PaulJG

PaulJG Member

Hi Guys, I've been having increasing issues with my w10 setup.. slowly over time it's got worse - usually from within games.. either it freezes or a complete computer restart. Everything was fine a few months ago!

You'd think it would be the grx driver - so played around with the latest and older ones - doesnt seem to make much difference - looking at the logs, its not just the display driver thats playing up..

Uninstalled some of the software Malwarebyte's etc.. as that was a listed failed service.. anyway - getting near the point of a fresh reinstall... thought I'd have one last try with a w10 rollback..

Now it says it leaves your files alone but puts apps back to how they where - I'm just thinking about the games I've installed recently in steam.. will doing this cock up steam? - I can hardly reenter the the serial keys again..

Starting to have a growing suspicion that its the 'Game Mode' in the recent updates thats made everything unstable.. :(

2. spolsh

spolsh Active Member

When you reinstall Steam, you don't have to make a new account. Steams servers, not your PC, store the CD keys, so that's nothing to worry about.

You can try the refresh (or whatever they call it when they keep your files), but if you have copies of your other software, I'd just go for a clean install and start again.

PaulJG likes this.
  3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If you've added games in steam rolling back Windows won't affect that, as they're linked to your steam account (much in the same way you could reinstall Windows completely and reinstall steam and boom they'll be there :) )

You may lose saves if the games don't have steam cloud, but shouldn't as they should be saved in your documents which should remain as they are.

Sorry to hear you've had problems with w10, been fine for me :(

PaulJG likes this.
  4. PaulJG

PaulJG Member

Thanks Guys, in that case.. I'll just bite the bullet, do a complete reinstall.. Think I've had that build running since 10 first put out, so its gone through a lot of patches and changes.

Ohhhh.. think I remember somekind of issue with cd drivers not found and my motherboard, when doing the the windows install.. case of crossing fingers and hoping for the best.