1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Rome II Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 2 Sep 2013.

1. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I pre-ordered based on CA's history, It never occurred they'd do something so stupid as to water down their brand. It did take me a bit to realise, after having not played any TW in some time.

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

3. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

Brilliant post man, just what was needed.

Angry Joe full review is out, I feel vindicated (though I'm not happy about it); http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a8

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Sep 2013
  4. Panos

Panos Minimodder

I will stop on some points of the huge list you wrote, not that I agree with your others either.

a) ATI had drivers on Tuesday night supporting XFire. Ask Nvidia about their SLI support, not CA. And i do not expect to play on Ultra setting with the GTX580, very high will do and looks awesome with full count armies.

b) Lack of control on settlements? What are you smoking? Have you played the game?

c) There is a button DETAILS between the OVERVIEW and recruit GENERALS.

d) Campaign map has 0 choke points. Get your army from any port city you own, and get it to the other side of the world, going behind your opponents. This is not Shogun 2. The land is so vast, that if you are not playing Egypt or Carthage (since they are at the bottom of the map) you just go everywhere.

e) You have a limited amount of Armies, and another set amount of Navies. Yes a stack of 20 unit troops create a nice navy at the start, but when you are bit stretched and need every single land general, the Navy is godsend to support your troops against coastal cities, defend your cities. And they have some really powerful naval units at higher tech than you can sink 2 stacks of "Land troops" navy, with just 8-10 ships. Not forgetting that the Naval units can their land troops on land battles.

f) Have you seeing the series of buttons at the bottom of the screen with abilities, Stances & Group formations?

g) Play on very hard+ campaign with Legendary battles. Then tell me if the AI is easy or dumb on both.

5. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Decent post by DeckerdBR. At least he has provided some objective analysis without resorting to personal insults, bad language, and childish / agressive behaivour.

Mongys posting in this thread has convinced me to play more Rome TW II. As I said before I havnt actually experienced any problems with it anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

6. RickLane

RickLane Staff Staff

M0ngy has now been banned for repeatedly doing all of those things. The rest of you, thanks for keeping the debate civil, especially those of you who clearly strongly disagree with my review.

Rome II is a massive, complex game, and as we've seen in this comments thread alone, the experience can vary wildly from one person to the next. Like yourselves, my review was based on what I saw. If I had encountered crippling bugs, dreadful AI and the like, I would most certainly have told you about them. If you've read this review, or perhaps this one, you'll know I'm not the sort of person who lets those things off lightly.

But the fact of the matter is I didn't. I had a very smooth experience, bar the two crashes which I mentioned. The AI I encountered was actually pretty smart, harassing and flanking me, which I haven't seen that much of in a TW game before. Sure, an army which is outnumbered or technically inferior will break pretty quickly, but that's understandable.

As for things like the UI, I thought the UI in Rome II made much more sense. It's certainly very different, and takes a wee while to get used to. But things like having your Public Order breakdown displayed in numbers, and being able to see the buildings in your entire province at a glance makes settlements much easier to manage.

This isn't to ignore the issues some people are having, that's very unfortunate, and I'm sad to see that some of you simply aren't getting the same experience I did. But I can't review a game based on what other people complain about. That would be ridiculous.

Cheers,

Rick

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Rick,

Your comments regarding bugs are totally fair - I've had the same experience as you, with no crashes or anything untoward. If you didn't experience them, then how indeed can they influence a review?

The UI is a bit of a mess, but can be dealt with - and I for one like the new province system. I think the bigger issues stem from other choices CA have made - like the cap points, free transport boats (c'mon, at least make them go to a port?), and the mass of bad choices made in the battle mode. I actually think the strategic play, on the whole, is good (bar the shonky UI on the diplomacy interface), but the battles let it down. Actually, my biggest issue with the UI is simply how many things are hidden behind tooltips or several layers of menus.

I played a pair of battles recently, both settlement invasions. Different places, but turned out to be exactly the same map, and the AI just sat there whilst I hammered them to death. I lost less than 100 troops each time, and they lost over 1600. How does that make sense?

I'm also coming in to this off the back of 300+ hours of Empire, another 150+ of Napoleon and who-knows how many in the other titles. I didn't expect the series to remain static, but I wasn't expecting so many steps backwards from the excellence that was Shogun 2. I mean, they even removed the buttons to rotate units/alter file depth in the battles!

8. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

The only issue I had, was that you got me excited. Something I learned a long time ago about any review, is knowing if you and the reviewer have a common perspective. Sadly for some of us, we'll be having to look else where. Equally as many though seem happy with your review, and this one won't stop me reading more, as we may share opinions on other topics. :)

Thank You,

Jes

9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Rick, I don't mean to come across as rude to you in my displeasure at how bad I feel the game is compared to other TW games and against that of your review. However I don't know how you could not have come across many of the issues that a seemingly large number of the player base has experienced.

I didn't personally expect the game to be perfect or even to be able to run it perfectly on my Gen 5 hardware. However when the games own in-game benchmark does not represent the actual in game performance and the AI repeatedly does really stupid things, worse than even the release AI of empire AND there are many things that are a step back from even the original Rome (let alone other iterations of the series), in my opinion it does not make it worth the 96% you awarded Rome 2.

I think the game will bet get better with time, maybe once the issues are fixed it will even become a much better game. But I can't see this living on like Rome 1 did, which is still very playable 9 years on.

The Euro Gamer 7/10 review at least picked up on many of the issues but I think what really tells a story is the difference between the Critic and user scores on Meta Critic, where the users are giving it a 4/10 average.

Personally I think Rome 2 could have done with another 6 months of development and some better QA as well as working with the graphics card partners to ensure reasonable drivers were available for launch. Whatever the real cause of the issues, it is very disappointing though.

To add at least some positives, I really like the new province system (regardless of the fiddly build menu and lack of detail compared to Rome 1!) and I really like the Pastel & Chalk looking unit cards. Also to finally have Naval warfare added, even if not that exciting is another plus.

10. Gargoogolplex

Gargoogolplex What's a Dremel?

I no longer trust your gaming reviews Bit-tech.

Tags: Add Tags