1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Rome II Total War

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Wozzname, 6 Sep 2012.

1. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Ugh. Looks like me being a stuck in a mud and sticking with my Windows Vista disc for the OS has finally bitten me in the arse. Seems there can be a problem with Vista reading discs...

Checked through M$'s site, and the registry I'm looking for to edit... doesn't exist. :(

2. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!

Cant you just download from Steam?

3. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

On 30kb/s it might take a few days! (TalkTalk has decided to throttle us down from ~500kb/s for no apparent reason).

Finished exhausting options. Found the registry I was looking somewhere else other than where MS indicated on their own site. Deleted the Upper/Lower filters, tried "repairing" the OS, uninstall/reinstall of optical drive. Even more frustrating, the discs work in an old defunct XP laptop I have sitting around. Driving me mental this.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2013
  4. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Looks like you need to research the tech Concrete (for Rome). Then you can build aqueducts as level 1 sanitation.

5. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Amazon has now said all the dlc codes will be sent out on the 6th of September only a few days after the game has been out.

6. Wira

Wira Spoderman

doesn't really work if you're playing barbarians :p

I'm getting used to the constant rebelling, my garrisons can handle it anyway.

7. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

But the Barbarians shat wherever :duh:
    Can you not get masses of low level units without building these cesspit towns?

8. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!
    Already got my code for the DLC. Still waiting for the game box, though.

9. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Defaulted to extreme got 33fps on single 680 could not get SLI working, dropped shadows to very high only gained 5 FPS lol.

10. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

On high I gained 1 extra FPS lol. Just reset it all to extreme no point for 6 FPS in a huge drop in quality.

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Active Member

In order to get a playable fps (even by rts standards) I settled on the very high preset, enabling vsync, aa and anistropic filering but disabling ssao, vignettes and veg alpha and turning down shadows to low. The ssao causes horrid texture pop in and kills performance.

Thus far, im pretty dissapointed in the games performance.

12. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Plays fine on extreme at 2560x1440 on my 7970. Maybe it doesnt like nvidia? Hopefully they will improve it in patches

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

13. Wira

Wira Spoderman

sure could, the problem is you can't develop your towns in any significant way without getting a ridiculous squalor modifier (I have a region that's on like -50 happiness).

There doesn't seem to be a single building that can counter it in any meaningful way.

14. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

having played the prologue now on extreme it runs fine. Maybe the benchmark is just a worst case scenario as never really noticed any slow down in the battles so far.

15. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!

Arrived today from Amazon. Installing...

Seems we can install tomorrows beta patch:

16. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Active Member

I think it does prefer AMD. I tried playing the Prologue battle on the Extreme present at 1080p with a GTX 770 @1.241Ghz core and got 20fps when I zoomed in on just 4 units...

17. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

A friend gave me all the Steam files by USB drive the other day, so I got around to playing 4 turns last night.

I'm going for the "This is Total War" achievement, so Turn 1 as Sparta? Yep, declared war against everyone I knew - Macedon, Athens, Egypt, and this in turn pulled Knossos and Cyprus in. I may have missed a faction in that list.

So far I've been having to fend off attacks from Epirus and Athens, and my plan is to take Athens in a strike with my two small armies. I shall see how it unfolds tonight!

18. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

My copy has run fine since Tuesday, everything turned all the way up except AA. The benchmark averaged at 34fps, with the lowest being 16, but never seen a drop that far actually playing - but then I never zoom in too close.

I am, however, having my usual issue that I have with early era TW games - it's all about throwing a pile of units in to a melee scrap and hoping you win. Sure, you can sometimes get a flank attack by some cavalry in, but I always find the later era games with firearms to be far superior (Empire, Napoleon and to some extent Shogun 2). Wish they would do an American Civil War one...

20. tristanperry

tristanperry Active Member

I think the graphical bug (hopefully sorted with the new patch, updating to it now) is a bit selective. Some people seem to have dire FPS (5 FPS average), others have normal performance. I've had a mix: the prologue ran like a dog, but the historical battles have been normal.

Yeah I've found that too, it does feel like piling in is the best/only tactic at the moment.