1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room mate woes

Discussion in 'Serious' started by GregTheRotter, 21 Feb 2014.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Sounds like you are being treated as the tenant.

The internet thing would need to be resolved, no tenant would expect to move into a house share without that, get a second line plumbed in.

That said putting his hands on you and having his GF be petulant with you would pretty much be the end of the arrangement for me, game over.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Sling them out and then spread his nose all over his face, TBH the moment he laid a hand on me I would have broke his fingers.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

You shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable like that in your own home and these people should go.

Well its always cheaper for someone else to buy something. I understand equipment is a big outlay. But remember unlimited sim data has conditions and costs around tethering to other devices that's not the phone. Dongles and the like have small data allowances. Mobile data generally sucks compared to even low end broadband.

Anyway I wouldn't go for it. If you can convince a tenant to this all well and good. But I don't think it's a fair request. People in the house should have equal access to available facilities in my opinion.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

On the internet front I agree with shadow.

I mean I wouldn't sign for a house where it didn't have internet/I couldn't access it.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'd suggest three things:

1) As unfettered access to the internet is important to you, and most tenants will rightly expect to be able to access the internet at all times, I think you should get a second internet connection set up purely for use by your tenant - it doesn't have to be overly fancy, but it'll free up your own connection. Sure, it'll incur a small cost, but it's worth it if you both need and expect unimpeded access to the net.

2) Serve notice on this guy and get him out as soon as is reasonable and practical. If you feel uncomfortable in your own house then it's not worth it. Get another tenant in.

3) When you do get another tenant, make sure that any special considerations (like internet use, subject to 1) above) are spelled out clearly from day one. This keeps everyone onside and stops any problems down the line. As I'm sure Nexxo would say, communication is the key!

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Print it out and hand it to your lodger personally, there is no way they can deny they got it then.

Buy new lock/s also... a yale lock barrel is only about £15 and worth the peace of mind that your property is still secure once they are gone.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Glad to hear you're kicking them out - you're absolutely doing the right thing.

In regards to internet, I think I have to agree with others. However, 12-4AM is hardly a time most people would be up!

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The dude ^^^ is right. People need clear boundaries. By allowing tenants to piggyback on your internet as a favour but pulling the plug on it when suits you, while they pay for other utilities which gives them an entitlement to use them, you are confusing the hell out of them. Either give them internet included in the tenancy (charge them, of course), or tell them they need to get their own.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

This.
    I read the first bit of your post, up until the point where things got physical (wink wink) and I actually thought you were being a bit of a dick. Internet access is pretty much a standard thing these days, and people expect to be able to get it - and by providing the WiFi you set an expectation. To then turn it on and off at your whim, because you want to play games, is bound to annoy anybody. Internet access is quite commonly seen as being a utility - I've been in rented accommodation where it is counted exactly as such.

You either need to simply share the internet equally, or if you're that bothered about gaming, get a second line. Equally, I'm a bit confused about how your internet connection can be that terrible - I can happily play any game and still get about 15ms of ping whilst the wife is watching iPlayer, browsing the net or whatever she wants.

You also need to make things crystal clear in tenancy agreements. "Utilties included" is a vague term, as I said earlier, and these days internet connections are often lumped in as they can't be distinguished from the telephone.

10. RTT

RTT #parp

Win.

Also, totally backing what others have said, make it really clear to new people what exactly the deal is with the internet because the situation will probably repeat itself if you don't. You could quite easily provide a second line or state that internet is not included but beware people will probably avoid a place which has (effectively) no internet, so you might find it takes longer to get a new tenant or the quality :)D) of the tenant will be less. Then again, if your mum is the landlord it sounds like roommates might just be financial luxuries ;) so maybe you can afford to wait/be more choosy as it is - hardly a bad thing :thumb:

Last edited: 23 Feb 2014
  11. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

If you don't want to spend money on a second line, why not upgrade your current line to increase your bandwidth / internet cap / new router / homeplugs, etc?

12. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I'm inclined to agree with most posters here - Your home is your sanctuary and the place you go to to forget about the problems of everywhere else. Your suppose to feel comfortable, secure and safe there.

I totally agree with a statement said previously - its almost as if your the tenant in your own house - It sounds like you did him a favour letting his girlfriend move in for only £200 extra above the original agreement - by all rights you could have charged another £400 if she wanted in as it is a third person? I clearly would have personally.

They appear to be bullying you and seeing how far they can push the line - its not even about the internet anymore but power and control of what goes and doesn't go. I personally would serve them notice or if its informal have them move out immediately. I would protect my stuff before hand as people tend to get quite bitchy when such things come to an end and deliberately damage things.

Just my 2 cents. Let us know what you do and happens?

Edit*

Whats happened since? I just realised you served them notice? This is better than TV.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So Greg, did they move out without incident?

14. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I forgot to update the thread. Long story short, the gf went back to hungary first, and then he left three weeks later or so.

I wasn't told when he'd be moving out, I only heard the date from the other room mate, from what he'd heard from their boss (they worked in the same restaurant). I didn't know what to believe so I just carried on with my usual habbits without acting any different. The evening before he was due to leave, I had just received my new Tannoy home cinema speaker package and Sony amp, and spent the whole afternoon setting it up. I wenmt to bed quite late and heard him leaving the next morning but I wasn't about to start demanding to see that the room was ok, etc etc. I went to bed and when I went downstairs that morning he was gone..

...and had taken the remote for the home cinema amp, as well as the TV remote with him.

To buy a new amp and tv remote would have set me back 90 quid (70 just for the sony amp remote), so I phoned the company I bought the home cinema from and told them there was no remote in the box, they sent me a direct replacement amp. Yes I am sure that guy took the remotes.

15. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

CHANGE THE LOCKS!!!!!

16. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Yep... even if they've given the keys back, they could have easily made a copy and would be able to clean you out easily (seen it done a few times by asshat tenants before).

As for the internet, a 2nd line would be a good idea to get for tenants, though I cant see how you'd be getting poor net with a decent fiber optic line (got a 60mb Virgin line, can play games, download, stream twitch and netflix all on the same computer with no real difference in lag [5ms vs ~40-50ms]... my fps does suffer a bit with all that going on though :D

17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I'd change the locks and change a load of passwords

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ What he said. The guy may have gone back to his fatherland, but he may have given copies of his keys to his local kleptomaniac friends. CHANGE THE LOCKS.

Second: what have you learned from this experience?

- Written, signed rental agreements. No verbal ones the recall of exact details of which can be argued about later.
    - Clear boundaries. Either they get internet included, or they provide their own. No piggybacking on yours as a favour.
    - References from previous landlords desirable.
    - No couples. It creates messy dynamics.
    - No tenants who don't speak English. It creates messy communication.

The last two rules would be different if you were a professional landlord, but you have to live in the same house and share facilities, and that is a whole different ball game.

19. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

How very clever you must feel.

Someone steals from you and you steal from someone else so you're not quite so out of pocket.

{slow clap}

julianmartin likes this.
  20. RTT

RTT #parp

Yeah, I thought this too. Two wrongs and all that :duh: :rolleyes: