1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Room redecoration and new PC build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Huge, 25 Jul 2011.

1. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Yeah yeah, I know. I'm very careful with my money generally which is why I can afford to splash out from time to time, it shouldn't take me too long to pay it off as I have a small but steady income.

And 3MB is more than my OCD-ish tidiness will allow! I even stripped down my windows installation - I can't turn back to the dark (and cluttered) side now.

2. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I take it all back. I buckled and installed the free version of DisplayFusion after editing my background and cocking it up by accident, I couldn't be bothered to do it again! Now my screens look pretty :)

Yesterday I started work on the first shelf for my wardrobe/cupboard in the corner. I decided that it looked too messy and cluttered compared to the clean and neat rest-of-the-room appearance so I decided to install another lower shelf (under the shirts and trousers) that is just below the bed height. I plan to have one part hinged and one part stationary, then I can use the space below as storage for the extra stuff I don't want in my drawers. When I need to access it I can move the things onto the stationary part and open the hinged top.

Trip to B&Q

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The empty cupboard, the lower shelf will hopefully match the top shelf when finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

True 'back of envelope' and CAD for dimensions:

[​IMG]

Going to try and get the pieces finished tonight so that I can start applying the wood colour.

3. Huge

Huge aka Dave

No progress on the shelf today (yeah - boring update!). Sorry about the slow progress, as a student I have to wait for the bargains to arise and my progress has to wait.

However, I have JUST won myself an exciting new part for my room - engineered wood flooring. In budget and the right wood (dark oak). Very excited! :D

Here's a picture of a similar product to give an idea of colour and finish:

[​IMG]

4. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Nice write up...

1. I fancy a 2ND monitor myself now !
    2. DisplayFusion is great, just spotted it on another thread this evening.
    3. Ebay my 2ND favourite web-site.

dunx

5. Jor1995dan

Jor1995dan Minimodder

Trust me man, when/if you get a second screen, after a few weeks (if that) you'll be begging for a third! :rock:

I'm at two and there's a few issues with me getting a third (or even a forth): space and money! :waah:

6. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Dual monitors are no good for eyefinity gaming but if you just want to increase workflow, two are better than one!

7. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Just ordered myself a 64GB SSD Drive from Crucial for £46! :) It's a deal through Crucial here. Where is this money coming from? :worried:

8. Huge

Huge aka Dave

OK, update time again. Today I got off work early (due to multiple smoke alarm failures!) so I came home via B&Q for some paint. I got some testers to try out before I make my final decision, colours to come soon. I also got hold of some filler and applied it very badly (going to have a nice lot of sanding tomorrow!).

I also packed everything in my room into drawers or my bathroom, took down my desk and packed away two of my monitors so that I have better access to the walls when I get around to painting (hopefully on Sunday). It is so weird having a really small computer desk and only one monitor again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Depressingly small desk:

[​IMG]

Finally, my flooring arrived today, but they only brought 4 out of 5 packages! I paid specifically for next day delivery so that I could get it laid on the bank holiday weekend and they say they won't bring the other package until Tuesday! I'm going to complain and see if I can get some money back. Anyway, nevermind. Tomorrow my brother is joining my friend and I in our weekly downhill mountain biking at the Forest of Dean so there won't be any progress again until Sunday. Then I should have some interesting updates to show you!

9. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Today my new SSD arrived along with two other packages :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Bit more progress today. Here's a little game of spot the difference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got my windows rating up to 7.3 (still held back by my data transfer rate!)

If anyone is reading this thread let me know, at the moment it seems like I'm putting this here just for me to read. Also, I started painting today, didn't get far so I'll not bother with photos but I hope to get finished tomorrow.

11. xxmxx

xxmxx What's a Dremel?

really like what your doing here :)

Huge likes this.
  12. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! :)

13. Krony

Krony What's a Dremel?

7.3 seems a tad low for an SSD, is it the Crucial C300 ?

14. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Yeah, I don't think I set it up right. I'm going to format it and do it again. I did a speed test and it was 100mb/s slower than expected.

15. Krony

Krony What's a Dremel?

Make sure sata is configured in AHCi mode in the bios and the best way to install an OS on an SSD is to remove all other drives untill windows is installed, i would also look at their wabsite and maybe if they have a forum, i know with the Ocz ones they advise on secure erase before a reinstall.
    Just found this, might help u to have a read first before reinstalling.

Huge likes this.
  16. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Wow, useful post, thanks for sharing! I'll reinstall tonight.

17. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Yesterday I reinstalled windows on my SSD (but haven't had the time to set it up properly) and got further with the painting. I'm now shattered as I've had only 8 hours sleep in two nights and I'm back at work again :wallbash:

Here's a teaser for the new paint colours:

[​IMG]

Dark grey feature wall (behind monitors) and blue-grey elsewhere.

18. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I've done some more painting since the picture above was taken but haven't yet finished. Unfortunately I've been ill for a few days hence the slow up in progress, plus the courier company still cannot find the 5th package of wooden flooring for my room!! I think I'll try and finish painting in my room tonight and put everything back up (as I need to get on with my uni work), hoping to have a nice picture of the new paint for you soon.

19. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

hi,

looking good - could you tell me where you got that wallpaper?

20. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Sure, I just searched google for a wallpaper that was the exact size I wanted. Here it is.