1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Roommate issues!

Discussion in 'General' started by profqwerty, 30 Nov 2010.

1. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Well, yet another rant / I hate my room mate thread! :lol:

Just sent this to the management:

Hi,

Are there any options for moving room for next semester? I'm in a 3 person, and Freddie's about as annoying to live with as you can get (VERY loud music (although that was in the contract I admit*), actively won't clear up / clean anything, etc). Andy's great, but unfortunately he's moving out next term leaving me to cope with Fred by myself (and whichever poor person gets Andy's room).

Sorry for the rant, he's a nice person, just needs his own apartment really.

Many thanks,

*By this, I mean they told me that Freddie wants people to know that he listens to his music very loudly and left his last apartment early as everyone complained.

I've done the normal routes, talking about it all etc, just he's a complete dick and doesn't care.

I'm in a block of flats for students in Montreal, you just get allocated flatmates at random (they say they try and match people...hmmmmm).

I'm trying to revise deformable solids at the moment, not the most thrilling, and just a constant rumbling thumping noise reverberating around my room. Normally I go to my friend's house to work (it's nearer uni anyway) but she's away at the moment. I'm not bothered if this is the wrong way to go about this, i'm p!ssed ha.

/Rant.

2. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Pick up an annoying habit to piss him off, normally talking should work but if not fight fire with fire

ORRRRRRRRR wait till a birthday buy him some headphones bragging about the bass and **** see if he converts

personally i don't like to play music loud when i know somebody is in the next room

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I have never, ever understood someone's need to play really loud music in living areas. It just shows a complete lack of respect for those around you. If you love music that much, buy a good pair of headphones!

4. profqwerty

He has headphones....I asked him to use them but apparently "then I can't enjoy the music as much". It's really shitty music too lol.

Plus the playing the SAME song on REPEAT up to an hour at a time....Baby I like it, the way you move on the floor...I know this song inside out now.

5. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

You could play dirty...

And **** his speakers or soundcard depends how mean you feel like being

Or just like unistall his sound drivers when you have to do some work depending on how pc literate he is he could fix it in 10 minutes or like my friend weeks :) then i had to show him how

(i did'nt break it he did i swear)

Or report him to enviromental health for noise pollution like i did with the chavs up my road they ask them to turn it down or they confiscate the equipment by reporting you to the police

6. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Tell him he'll be totally deaf by the time he's 35 (which he will if he's listening to it as loud as you say) and then he won't be able to hear his music at all...

7. profqwerty

He does electronic engineering ( I'm mech...all the engineers seem to be on our floor haha). I've mopped the shiny kitchen tiles, making sure to keep the shiny layer of soapy water topped up incase he comes out to get whatever's still in the microwave.
    Hmm maybe that's too evil....

8. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

There is no good reason why some dickhead should be subjecting you to his music.

1) You needed to include this in your note to the management:
    HOWEVER

2) This:
    So, you knew what you let yourself in for. But they should play fair and move you out to a decent room and move someone in who is equally as annoying.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Ah, look a bit closer! Freddie wants people to know that he listens to his music very loudly, and the OP consented to this.

Well, I drink my coffee with cream and sugar, but I never drink coffee!

Assuming that the contract doesn't specify any more than his enjoyment of loud music, the OP should still be free to complain about the time the music is played, or the frequency/duration of his music listening. As the OP describes it, the contract says nothing about Freddie having the right to blast his music at full volume all day, every day.

Contracts just require that you be enough of a pedantic asshole to find a case anyway. :D

10. profqwerty

By contract, the guy showing me my room just mentioned it in passing. I guess I was a little naive and thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but there's all the other crap he does on top of that. Either this or try and fob my room off to someone else (no one's replied to craigslist yet :()

I don't care that I "consented", I wanna move rooms! Where there's a will there's a way right? If no reply by tomorrow I'll have to go moan in person.

11. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I WISH i had a room mate like you!!!

Have you thought of telling him to his face that the volume of his music bothers you? If he tells you to go **** yourself, then complain to the higher ups. But definitely see him first.

Edit: apparently i can't read. You already did that. Now its time to go to the higher ups. But don't ask nicely! This is not a discussion or polite request, you are demanding to be moved.

12. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Oh hell no, not a bad case of Mr Asshat. Look profqwerty, you have to stand up for yourself dude. You've asked Mr Asshat nicely, and he's ignored you. Ask him one more time, this time making your feelings very clear and blunt in the matter. Inform him that he's pissing you off in no uncertain terms and it's not acceptable. Most people will cut it out at this stage. If he continues to ignore your request, he's a true asshole and you can't do much but bail. At this point use any method you can to yourself out of there. Neaieboyee's suggestions are good.

13. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Get other people in the neighbouring flats to complain too- a dozen or more people against one ignorant moron should get some action happening in your favour. Or yeah, sabotage his audio equipment ( swap the fuse in his plugs for something a little lower rated ) in a non-destructive manner... :lol:

14. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

*pulls out sheet of sand paper* *looks over at pile of cd's*

and if its on a pc....

*ups vcore to unsafe level and exits bios, leaving no trace*

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Do something despicable with his toothbrush..

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Just go to his room and smack him in the face really hard. With a crowbar. That should be enough to get it through taht you're serious. After that tell him to wear his ****ing headphones or turn down the ****ing volume.

Either that or just suffer the bs, sending messages around the managements with no effect.

Clearly he's an utter douche and in my opinion your really can't negotiate with such, nor should you even try to. It's not your fault he's a total dick, so why should you suffer about it? There's a reason why I'd never, ever take a random room mate. It's hard enough sharing a flat with a mate.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Mec Engineering ? Concordia ?

18. profqwerty

To clarify: much speaking has been done about all the issues. He's Tanzanian, the impression I get is of someone who's waited on 24/7. He's just generally a dick about it all.

It's a new semester after xmas, so people are moving in and out so I'm gonna try moving then, management should be able to sort it, I just wanted a quick rant that's all :)

19. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

kick his ass. violence solves 100 percent of every problem ever!!!!!111!

20. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Put itching powder in his underwear drawer.