1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Rotating webcam

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Dean_j2001, 22 Jun 2004.

1. Dean_j2001

Dean_j2001 What's a Dremel?

hi im pretty new here so please bare with me a bit

right i have a labtec webcam which i want to mod, to make it swivel and move

the basic concept is, to code a piece of software to initialize the com or parrallel port to control 2 motors,

[​IMG]
    [credit to sorgonet.com]

i do know a little bit about VB and i was just wondering if any one could give me a url to a guide about initializing ports, and controlling the voltage on them or anything? nd if sumone could knock me up a schematic, because if i remeber rightly, diodes need to be used etc, so please bit techers shed your knowledge and wisdom down to ickle meh please :D much appreciated in advance Dean

*i'd be more than happy to add more detail or answer and questions or whatever*

thanks

Dean

2. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Lego Mindstorms ia good place to start made a lego station that ment the cam would go round and round and up and down :).

Took a while to program mind, who said lego was for kiddies lol

morgan.

3. Dean_j2001

LOL i do remeber that and infact searching in google even brought up the source code for it, but in actual fact i have many years ago seen this done, the end product would be, a plugin for msn using i dunno TCP to send packets over the net to a client which would interface with my parrallel port controlling my cam, in principal i can see ways to do this, putting my knowledge to use us going to require :wallbash: (smacking my head off a wall???) i think not! erm no just bassicly a control plugin over msn so they can control it to go up and down! come on sumbody tell me im cool, :p someone tell me its a good idea, because i think it is, if i could team up with a very good programer who is expirienced in dealing with the msn api's etc this would be great fun! :p get back to me going to have to head out now,. back later its my girlfriends bday and i need to give her a card :D awww hehe back l8r

4. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

I think that its an awsome idea now that you explained it more. At first i was going to tell you to just go get the Logitech webcam that can move as it tracks your face around the room. But from your explanation, I think that i get what your trying to do a little more. Thats not a bad idea to use for security, being able to control cameras in your house from across town to make sure no ones haveing a party there...

5. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

6. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

If you use stepper motors, you may be able do drive skip a microcontroler, and just use the parallel port, and a few transistors to amplify the signal from the parallel port. and if you can control the timing accurately enough in program you could use servos without a microcontroller also.

7. nohope4me

nohope4me What's a Dremel?

If you use stepper motors, you could just get a standard stepper-motor control board. They tend to plug into a COM port.

8. r3men4nt

r3men4nt What's a Dremel?

then again stepper motors are like $60 CAN and the boards $100+ CAN

9. nohope4me

nohope4me What's a Dremel?

Since you are UK-based, CPC is a good place to look. ( www.cpc.co.uk )

This is a link to a fairly cheap stepper motor (£20 + VAT)

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...and+Motors+-+Stepper+Motors&product_id=262054

And this would require little work to work connected to a COM or parallel port.

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...+Motors+-+Motor+Controllers&product_id=262058

This only took a minute or two. with more research you might find a better and/or cheaper solution.

If required angle of operation isn't all that high, have you considered using servos?

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...ts+and+Modules+-+Robot+Kits&product_id=260083

10. Dean_j2001

thanks very much everyone especially u khendar that link is very usefull, and his method of using and NIC card to recieve UDP packets which is then decoded by a PROC to output on a GPO to a servo is very effective as i could design a mod using the MSN api to send out UDP packets to the clients ip, not entirely sure how yet but bear with me ;) lets get this bitch working up and illl keep you all updated soon i finish college this week so itll be getting worked on alot thanks very much everyone

11. Dean_j2001

can anyone find a supplier for an atmel MEGA8515 i cant find one anywhere! i dont care what country or price its gunna cost someone find me A, Any supplier thanks in advance

Dean

12. JiveBologna

JiveBologna What's a Dremel?

I dunno how much this will help you, but it's cool nonetheless.

http://www.drivemeinsane.com/

Basically, the guy hooked his entire house up to a couple servers. The object of the game is to drive him crazy by controlling his lights, doorbell, etc.

Especially of note are his webcams that can be controlled from the site's CGI scripting. He has details for his whole setup here .