1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Router control software to limit users speeds?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maniac618, 21 Mar 2006.

1. Maniac618

Maniac618 What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

are there any programs that can control what speed a user can be limited to etc?

I have a netgrear dg thingy, that common router.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Mudkips.

In short, with your current kit, no.

To-do what you require, router side you need packet management /QoS (Quality of Service) to prioritize packets from certain subnets/domains/hosts

you can achieve this "cheaply" with smoothwall and QoS 2.2 Patch, which allows packet shaping/control and bandwidth throttling.

Alternatively if you wish to limit another network user’s bandwidth, software is available to limit the amount of bandwidth the host try's to use, but you would need access to the particular host.

3. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

You could run a program called NetLimiter, which I am unsure if you have to pay for it.

4. Maniac618

Maniac618 What's a Dremel?

thanks guys.

5. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

net limiter is shareware, but it certainly does that job I use it on my pc's otherwise i just soak up all the bandwidth at home and the landlord gets ****** because he cant use the net

6. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Hmm, is there anything I can use similar, but for my linux box? I had it set up to listen to music at school, but it used all the upload so that my dad couldn't connect to t'internet when I was listening at school.

Tags: