1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Router? Draytek Vigor 2710n or Draytek Vigor 2820n

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bogie170, 14 Oct 2009.

1. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Am looking for a new router for my BE* service. There is not a lot of good routers out there but after researching 2 stand out for me. I currently get about 8meg connection from BE*.

Draytek Vigor 2710n - £113.00
    http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2710.html
    [​IMG]

&

Draytek Vigor 2820n - £168.00
    http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2820.html
    [​IMG]

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any of these products and would like to give me their views. Or if anyone has any ideas for a new router?

I run a gameserver from home so port forwarding is a necessity.

Thanks for any guidance/help. :thumb:

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The 2710N looks about the best out of those two - the 2820 is totally overkill for what you're using it for.

Having said that a Draytek might be a bit much too tbh - there are numerous cheaper, similarly specced routers from other brands.

If you're worried about a cheaper one not doing decent port-forwarding I know Netgear routers have IP and port-specific forwarding if necessary. :thumb:

3. bogie170

I heard Draytek products are bulletproof. I have 3 PC's a gaming console and wireless connections around the house for everyone. I want it to be stable, fast and very configurable.

4. Krikkit

They are bulletproof, but they're designed for much higher duty cycles than a typical network.

A decent, standard N-router will undoubtedly serve you just as well.

5. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

I use a 2820n at home and it's excellent, has configuration options out the ass and has not given me any nonsense unlike untold numbers of cheap routers have. The port forwarding works, UPNP works, firewall is incredibly good, SNMP logging, QoS that works (not sure how well QoS works over WiFi mind). But yeah it is a bit overkill for most home connections.

There is a D-Link something or other pro-gamer type router with blue LEDs that is about £100 and has all of the above and works well, a friend is using it on his 50mb virgin connection without issues and they have two people behind the NAT playing online games together which was causing real issues in some games before they bought that router. If you can find the version of that which uses an ADSL modem rather than a cable WAN port you should be good.

(The cable one is a DIR-635)

6. bogie170

Thanks, my thomson speedtouch 585 that Be* gave me is pants.

7. Krikkit

That Thompson is alright for light usage, but once you ramp up the number of clients it ends up being rather overwhelmed.

8. dolphin-promotions

dolphin-promotions What's a Dremel?

I use the 2820n at work and at home. Can't recommend it enough. At the time of buying I think it was the only router that could work with Annex M which was required for Be Pro.

The old Thompson would overheat an reset every couple of hours whereas the 2820n never resets.

Yeah it is overkill but I am online all the time so I think it is a decent investment.

9. Krikkit

I just think it's pointless to spend so much on a router unless you'll really be using all of its features. Stuff like a dual WAN just won't get used, and there are plenty of cheaper, similarly stable routers out there for normal folks.

10. littlexanth

littlexanth Saving for a Dremel

I can thoroughly recommend the Draytek, all the features mentioned already and I particulary like the build in VPN server on the 2820n. Allows a secure connection onto your private network from the internet. Very handy when you need to get home to get or check something.

Might cost more but I love it just for that.

A 3G dongle in the USB port has been handy to keep an internet connection when the main broadband connection has dropped.

Cheers,

Littlexanth

11. meonpeter

meonpeter What's a Dremel?

Draytek and Mac

The Drayteks are good, but don't try to use them with Apple Mac products on wireless....