1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Router Modding?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ronin, 22 Apr 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin What's a Dremel?

I was trying to find some guides on modding a router I mean im tired of the lil gray box that sits on my desk. I was just gonna strip it and put it in a diff case and jazz things up a lil. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any sites that shows how-to or pics of one modded? :confused: :dremel:

2. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

window
    network activity indicator <- very cool
    smoothwall router (not really the type of mod you're thinking of)

I haven't seen many router mods other than those. You'll have to get creative. New case, paintjob, window, LEDs. I like the idea of sticking a router insid a cool geek toy (I might do this now :D).

3. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

WOW someone actualy quoted one of my very old mods.

Check out the user name on the last link.

WOW is all I can say.

4. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

LOL. I didn't even realize that. Not a bad mod, but I think he's looking to mod an existing router, not create a smoothwall one. :lol:

5. bobmister

bobmister What's a Dremel?

Pssshhhh... Mod your router and u won't be able to unload it on eBay when u need to upgrade, which by the way, maybe soon! :hehe:

I have always wanted an Apple router (Airport Extreme) on my PC LAN. Nobody makes cooler boxes than Apple. But in no way shape or form am I gonna shed out 2-3x $$ when I get a plain PC router that does the same job.

Anybody thought about taking the innards of your dlink/linksys router, buy a cheap-broken Airport flying-saucer and marrying the two?

6. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

How about replacing the antenna with a better one and replacing the activity LED with a white one?
    [​IMG]

7. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Window, like on metku mods, but maybe a different shape (biohzard?) but then light it up with a short ccfl or a few leds. Cable tidying doesnt realy count, but maybe a fan (40mm led fan?). Now, wheres my old switch gone, might try some of it.

8. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

dont do a biohazard symbol, its way overrated and overdone. i think the best thing to do is put some leds in it and if it has no vent slats or holes already, make some for the light to shine out of. and change the leds on the front of it.

9. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Take it (carefully) out o the case and plop it in a cigar box or something. They look cool.... even cooler with big antennas sticking out the back :)

10. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

You could use some plexi, and make a small enclosure, maybe have the underside glow blue to signify poer, and rewire the port data LEDs onto the top piece of plexi, possibly using green, with a couple of blues at the back of the top piece of plexi, cos then as more ports were used/data was sent, the enclosure would change its blue -> green fade.

in fact, when i get home (im at uni, with no tools apart from leatherman and screwdriver) i might just make that myself :)

this is the switch i have:

[​IMG]

11. BBurger

BBurger What's a Dremel?

Could you use opto-isolators on the router's activity LED circuits, then trigger a shedload of LEDs/etc elsewhere?

I'm thinking of a varient on the HDD activity light mod, like this Mektu one or this more complex Bit-Tech/MacroMan one.

(I've built the Mektu circuit into my current box; looks very cool!)

12. LOLRainbow

LOLRainbow What's a Dremel?

13. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Is that switch from the Ez computers in Winton-Bournemouth then?

<A88>

14. routermods

routermods What's a Dremel?

Where to get router modding info?

A great place to start is . We are also starting a board to answer questions. Some of our contributors developed a customized MIPS OS for certain models of routers. Flat out best place to ask a question if you need help, and no on else will answer.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Jan 2008
  15. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

Had an idea last night:idea:

If you can get your hands on an old router (ie: wood router), you could mod your router into a router:D

16. 12modderz

12modderz L33T еÐ3!

Have any of the last 2 people that have posted realised how old the thread is? LOL! :D

17. lost_modder

lost_modder What's a Dremel?

I don't think the first is really a people. It just a link to a crap generic page. and the second... don't think he did. his idea is crazy tho!

18. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

lol, just had a look at the date on that first post:blush: