1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Router Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slick, 13 Sep 2004.

1. Slick

Slick What's a Dremel?

Last week blueyonder cable was installed in my flat and I've been having problems getting it working. The modem works and I can access the internet if I plug it directly into any of the PCs in my flat. We were given a router with the flat which is a "torspoal 802.11b wlan router". This router worked for the previous occupants in an identical setup and its letting each of the computers access each other.

However, if I connect the modem to the router, I cant access the internet from any of the computers. I phoned telewest and they said it should work as you dont need to register MAC addresses. What else can I try? If anyone has any suggestions they would be much appretiated as I'm really stuck on this one.

2. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

There are a fiew things you need to take into concideration. First thing is when you conect the modem to your pc directly do you have any kind of login? The second thing is that you need to configure the router to actualy acomodate your type of conection.

For example my conection type that I need is PPPoE where as I need to tell my router my loging information such as a user name and password then the router logs into the modem and then starts routing my packets as I need them.

My previous configuration witht he other telco I used to have was that I left the router on just plain tcp configuration with no login and the router would work. There are other standards that other countries use such as australia nd some parts of europe.

Hope this helps.

3. GMan

GMan Minimodder

Just add the routers internal IP as the default gateway in the Advanced TCPIP settings for each connected computer.

4. Slick

Slick What's a Dremel?

no its cable it does it all automatically

I've now logged onto my router, phoned blueyonder to check the configuration is correct and it is.

yeah I've done this and manually configured IP addresses on all machines to make sure there arent any conflicting ones.

Thanks for the replies so far but I'm still having no luck, any other suggestions would be much appretiated.

5. Slick

Slick What's a Dremel?

is there anything else I can try? I'm really stuck here and my flat mates are nagging me to get the internet working so Id appretiate any suggestions.

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

get another router?

7. Slick

Slick What's a Dremel?

I was thinking that, except I dont know for a fact its a problem with the router.

8. GMan

GMan Minimodder

If you're using static IP's on the computers, try adding the router as a DNS server as well as a gateway.

Does your router have a setting to switch between acting as a Gateway vs. Router? For this type of setup it should be set to Gateway.

9. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

are you able to 'ping' the router..
    command prompt>ping 192.168.0.1
    and can you ping any of the other computers
    is it automatically detecting Ip's.. i know when mine was acting up.. wouldnt detect anything.. until i unplugged (power and com) the modem and router.. left it overnight.. then next morinin plugged(power) em back in.. plugged modem into router.. left it for a few sec.. then connected the first pc (on.. set to get internet thru lan) to it.. went into router config.. and walla.. log now saying discovery ok.. instead of discovery error for reems of pages..

just give it a go.. nout to loose...

10. Slick

Slick What's a Dremel?

THAT DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!

You're a genious and have made me a very happy man!

If you're ever in Edinburgh I owe you a pint or two :thumb:

:D :D :D :D :D

11. GMan

GMan Minimodder

Glad I could help. :D

Tags: