1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Router, switch, and the wireless bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Woodstock, 9 Aug 2007.

1. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

right me and the flatmates (3 others) have decided to get adsl (we all only moved in 4 days ago)... but i have two problems
    first they have decided to only purchase 5gb of transfers but i want more so im paying the extra but dont wont them freeloading that too. i know some routers can limit the transfers done by certain ports/mac address/ip address is this router capable of this (prefable with the option to automatically limit speed instead of killing connection) here.
    Due to me needing more then 1 port i will connect my port to a gigabit switch (through a pc based gateway ). i however want wireless but dont want them having access to it. would a wireless bridge such as this here allow me to do that?

2. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

If I understand correctly, all the other users are connecting to the net, via a dedicated pc that acts as the gateway... not sure if you have looked into using an ISA server on that dedicated machine and using ISA clients on the other users.

ISA server acts as a firewall/proxie but is able to monitor and limit network traffic.

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

ok they are connecting via direct connection to the router, but i know what there usage is like. I more or less want to make my own private lan that connects to the router

4. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

I don't ever recall LinkSys routers providing any means to limit bandwidth or usage to connected devices and if everyone is making a direct connection to the router, whether by RJ45, USB or wireless, you will need to re-route these direct connections as indicated by Delphium.

If you are making your own LAN, you could get your server (assuming you are running a server on your private LAN) to act as an ISA server as well as doing all your private LAN stuff, but there's a fair bit of configuring to do and you'll need to pick up another network card (one connected directly to router, the other to all the other computers so people can't manually connect to the router directly).

The only problem I can see with this method is whether your flatmates will rebel as you'll be in control of the entire net access.

5. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

For the wireless, just get a wireless router and set up Mac filtering +/- WPA passwords that your housemates don't know. No need for an extra bridge. It all sounds a bit underhand but it'll work just fine.

Secondly there's no point buying a gigabit ethernet *anything* if you're using on a network where other computers are running less than gigabit. It just downregulates to the lowest common denominator (I.e. 100mbps).

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i could do that but i dont want to push too many buttons (figurtivly) too soon. and my laptop and old desktop's all have a gigabit connection

7. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Use a Linux box? I have not done anything like this with Linux, but I have seen information out there about people building their own routers from older PCs and Linux. You could add an additional NIC to handle your wireless needs too.

8. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i was planing on running open bsd on the gateway

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Ipcop has an add-on, Traffic control and Report which lets you set user names and bills users based on their (fixed by you) ipaddys. Sends out a daily email tells them, and you, what their daily usage was, once they get passed their gig cut the cheap skate buggers off at the knees.

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

the problem with that is with the plans were looking at once you go thru there quota, it limits itself to 64k

11. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Surely the best option would be to simply monitor the housemates' use, and if they're going over their 'quota', point this out and suggest that it would be fairer if everyone chipped in an equal amount. Most like if they're computer noobs (and therefore not big downloaders) they won't go over and you don't have the hassle of setting up a fairly complicated router.

P.S. I can't believe that you'd rather buy a WAP than just set up access protection (pretty straightforward job). If you've got that much money to throw away, I'm not sure why you're so bothered about someone else using 'your' internet.

12. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

its not just the Internet (which is mainly based on principal and there attitudes on other things) , its more the way they use there pcs (virus ridden things) and have decided the private lan is the way to go about that.. also on access protection if theres wireless they will think o well thats cool i want that too (router will be physically visible to them), where as the wap wouldn't

Tags: