1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt.slysnake, 3 Mar 2007.

1. matt.slysnake

matt.slysnake Banned

Hi guys,

I have one PC upstairs and one PC downstairs, currently only the one upstairs has broadband access, I need a router so both can connect to the broadband connection, but I don't understand the differences etc of them.
    I don't know whether I should go for wireless or wired, please help!

Please give me an idea of a router and any accessories needed, thanks! :)

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

YOu got cable, or DSL? Do you want both PCs to simply access the internet, or do you want them both networked?

A router will solve your problems, but we can't recommend one to you until you tell us what you already have. You may not require a modem router for example, but it depends what modem you have already. It also depends on whether you are cable or DSL.

More info needed.

Also moving this to networking... may get a better response there.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I believe Cable is DSL.

Basically if your internet is coming via a standard BT line you need to buy a router which has an RJ11 port on it. It should be labelled as ADSL Modem Router.

Whereas if it's cable you're using (Virgin) then you'll need a Broadband ROUTER which will *not* have RJ11 on it's specifications, moreover it should say "WAN PORT (RJ45)" or similar.

4. Rage.

Rage. New Member

Cable is different to dsl. dsl is broadband which goes through a telephone connection however cable goes through a cable exactly the same to cable TV. Cable is therefore faster than dsl. But as far as routers go.. ive got a net-gear 108mbps wireless router and it works fine and as fast (if not faster) than wired. The only problem i find is very rarely i drop out and i lag like an idiot =/ Also, dont get wireless if you want to transfer files because you will be there all day ( and night)

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I'm not that sure on your statement about speeds/bandwith... I think they are both as fast as your ISP wants them to be... That and Cable is a ring structure, if you are the only one on the ring, you'll be faster, but add a couple of other clients, and speed goes down a lot (IIRC it is that way in Belgium)

Wireless adds latency tough... Hence the lag in games. My 'philosophy' is, if the station doesn't move, use wires, for laptops, PDA's, etc use wireless...

I also like my modem and my router separated. Easier troubleshooting, and less expensive in case of an ISP switch. But that is just my personal preference.

But as said before, what hardware do you allready have?

6. DougEdey

ADSL in the UK is now faster then Cable. 24MB Down 16MB Up.
    DSL just means the upload is the same as the download whereas ADSL isn't. Cable broadband is normally described as DSL, whereas phoneline broadband is ADSL.

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Sorry mate, but you are wrong, DSL is over telephone cable, whereas Cable is over TV cable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL

And I hope you mean 24 mbit instead of byte...

8. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

plus you do have to remember to get the speeds of 24/16 youll have to be sitting in the exchange as the signal degrades over the length of a telephone line. Where as with cable you are able to recieve the max advertised speeds (currently 10meg down but the upload SUCKS!)

as for the router, i attane to the sperate modem and router idea. Its so much easier to troubleshoot. I also go by the "if it moves...wireless" rule.

9. DougEdey

sorry meant, mb.

10. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Cable internet speeds are generally faster and have less latency than a DSL line. But however lets get on topic, Matt how do you connect to the internet, phone or cable?

11. matt.slysnake

matt.slysnake Banned

I connect using DSL, and the modem I use is a speedtouch, not sure what model but it only has usb out and port where the phone line cable goes in. I guess I'm gonna go for wired for less latency, can anyone recommend a decent cheap router? Also it would be nice if I could network the PC's with the router too.

Thanks!

Tags: