1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Mail to be privatised or sold, government says

Discussion in 'Serious' started by steveo_mcg, 10 Sep 2010.

1. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Well, my Amazon Kindle was recently dispatched (When I say recently, it was 12 days ago), yesterday I ordered a replacement to be sent. Then was outside later generally outside my house when a van pulls up. Asks me if I lived in the house and just passed me a parcel and drove straight off. That parcel was the Kindle dispatched 11 days before First Class. I've lost a few important letters I needed to sort out for Uni. (Such as my UCAS acceptance letter). And the amount of times we get the mail of someone else, on a completely different street, but has the same number as ours is ridiculous.

I've also had several expensive packages, sent recorded left on the front of my door for me to come back in the rain to find. So obviously I had a signature forged onto the delivery.

2. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Ive had it take just about 13 days to deliver a item on 1st class delivery, It was shipped the wednesday before the Bank holiday so i expected it Friday or tuesday or wednesday latest It arrived finally on Thursday, I was almost about to have to get another one sent out.. I know the mail gets busy over the bank holidays but does it really get that busy..

Other bad experiances ive had was Special Delivery / Signed for deliveries main ones PC parts, Guitars and my PS3 just left outside my front door in the rain where i used to live.. Got so bad I took a day of school one day when it was raining as i tracked it to be in their van on the way so most of my PC parts wouldnt be left in the rain for 4-5 hours untill i could get home again (lunch break)

3. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

I do have a couple of concerns regarding the sale if it does indeed take place.
    Firstly that we shall be taking on the pension fund deficit that is thought to be around £8 billion. If we lose the revenue from RM I think you can guess where this shall come from.

RM has been undergoing changes over the last year or so to make it more profitable. RM posted an operating profit of £404 million last year (admittedly the letters part of RM made a loss of £330 million last year) Should we be so quick to lose this income from the public purse.

The final concern is how much are government likely to sell the RM for.

If a private company are able to make RM a success, then the only thing I can read into the situation is that those in charge of RM are in need of changing.

If investment is the sole problem, perhaps the government should look to the banks which we "helped out" during the recent crisis.

4. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Dont even get me started on how they just leave your parcels outside your house for any thieving git to steal. The amount of times thats happened oh my lord.

A friend had her xbox 360 and games package they ordered just left outside - they couldnt believe it. What the **** are they thinking?! and if it gets stolen? we have to go through the pain of chasing to get our money back.

I for one hope they sort their act out if privatised.

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

My only complaint about RM is when sending something they want to know the value of 'said' item. If i want postal insurance i shall ask for it, plus its not saying good things about the service offered if they have to ask about it all the f'ing time! lol!

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

we live in a location, that within a 5 mile radius there are at least 5 station roads, we get mail from and have mail go to these other station roads on a regular basis.

my wife has frequently contacted rm head office, to be told that the people involved have been retrained, and steps taken to prevent it happening again, which seems to work for a couple of weeks, then back to square one.

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Its simple. Royal Mail has to learn the concept of adapt or die. While it is Government owns it will never do that. It is controlled and manipulated by the Union's who would rather get handouts and 1970s working practices than a viable business.