1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress RTX scratchlog: done, but not final update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Teyber, 28 Jun 2007.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

2. Teyber

Teyber ******

sorry, the pictures didn't work after a little while...
    [​IMG]
    Shot with COOLPIX P4 at 2007-08-04
    MOVE INDIGO
    [​IMG]
    taped up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My brand new hitachi scroll saw hooked up to my new 3hp shop vac. man i love my tools!
    [​IMG]
    I ended up filign and sanding these by hand, but in the future i will use power tools to get perfect circles...
    [​IMG]
    Might as well show you my new scroll saw :D
    [​IMG]
    holes drilled and tapped, not filed or sanded btw
    [​IMG]
    some proof, it says teyber at extreme overclocking, xstreme systems, and bi-tech.
    [​IMG]
    Waiting for glue to try. I did a quick leak-test on one half, and it didn't leak. I have not leak tested and i cannot untill i have a pump btw. Just making sure it wasn't a fountain.

More to come!

Last edited: 5 Aug 2007
  3. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Awesome work Teyber! I wish I had your tools!!

4. Teyber

Teyber ******

i wish i had YOUR tools... lol arc welder Cheesecake!

thanks though.

the top part of the resevoir is leak free, the bottum... 3 leaks so far :( and not small ones either lol. i think ic an fix them though... just its late now here, and im getting sick so im going to bed early(10;15)

5. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

LOL! I heard about a thing called a MIG welder, than you can use to weld aluminium....man I want one!!

Late? LOL dude! Its only 07:15 in the morning here :)

How you gonna fix those reservoirs? Take the bottoms off, re-sand and then use silicone to stick the together?

6. Teyber

Teyber ******

im not sure. Whats up basically is just that the glue didn't spread out enough. So im gunna put some glue on top of it, and if that doesn't work take it off and belt sand it.

ANd by leak, i mean when i fill it, a tiny droplet of water comes out... not good, but its not a fountain either lol

7. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

LOL! That tiny droplet will feel like a fountain to your computer though :)

Goog luck man! I really hope you can get it fixed!

8. Teyber

Teyber ******

SWEET!
    2 great things happened today.

first, i went to lowes and got the hitachi belt sander. ITs not actulaly a belt sander "per se", but you know the one i linked you to? they are really handy tools, except i got the hitachi one. This thing... well, i won't explain. YOu will see.

SEcond, i signed on with my first sponsor ever! Danger den
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-08-06
    www.dangerden.com

Not much work lately on rtx, ive been drilling some holes that have to be really precise, for the fans. GOt 1 done lol. Once im back from vacation, things will speed up. THanks!

teyber

9. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

I wish I had Teyber's drillpress and scrollsaw as well as Dean MF's dad's electrode welder :D All that in addition to my tools as well as MIG and TIG welders; not to mention a lathe, mill, oxy/acetylene torch, etc. etc.

To weld aluminum you'd need a TIG welder.

10. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

You should give this a try http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...e=USPlastic&category_name=71&product_id=19275

Clamp the parts together then apply the cement with the plasticator and it just seeps right in between and glues it together. I'm just not sure if it's waterproof; so you should call and ask them before ordering.

11. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Hey congrats on the sponsorship :)

Last edited: 7 Aug 2007
  12. Teyber

Teyber ******

O.K. lots of people have been talking to me about the glue, so let me tell you what the glue said on the bottle and tell me if you think its o.k.

"100% silocon sealant for
    LEXAN
    sheet and other platics.

Translucent

outstanding adhesion

quick setting

permantently flexible

uv resistant

This quick setting forumula will cure in as little as 12 hours....it offers a watertight se al and is excellent for marine applications above the water line.....

Uses: bonding polycarbonate..... lexan, ...(acrilic)"

So that sounds pretty good to me, im not sure how thin or whatever it is but i will not but this anywhere near myc omptuer t ill i do days of leak testing!

Last edited: 7 Aug 2007
  13. Teyber

Teyber ******

[​IMG]
    Shot with COOLPIX P4 at 2007-08-06
    [​IMG]
    Shot with COOLPIX P4 at 2007-08-06
    [​IMG]
    Shot with COOLPIX P4 at 2007-08-07
    Some more eye candy.

Keep in mind, that the excess glue WILL BE TAKEN OFF!!!!!!
    i still have some tiny leaks, that i put lots of glue all around, then wipe excess, then repeat once dry. So im doing lots of coats of that, and i have been succsesfull at removing it. Trust me here guys! it will look sorta like the last pic, but a little better.
    Fixed the leaky barb! the watersealant glue, and a couple layers of plummers tape did the trick.

Its still far from done here, but wanted you guys to see if without the tape all over it.

btw, i went with the black barbs because they went further up into the resevoir, and I think they will leak less.

14. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

What the hell is this i'm looking at? Teyber,... did you you use epoxy to seal up that reservoir? Silicone? What is that?

15. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

You've done a better job with yours than I did on my first try. Just a caution, though. Mine worked fine when I put the tubes on for testing. After removing then and installing them again is when it failed. So don't go to far forward without stress-testing the fittings.

Actually, yours looks better than my final try, as well, but then mine is hidden so I didn't care.

Looking good!

16. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Looks like he used the silicon based Lexan/Polycarbonate glue they sell at Lowe's.

I used some polycarbonate solvent cement for a few things in my case and it provides a much nicer looking/clearer joint. IMO it should be waterproof as well but I'm not sure.

17. tribaloverkill

Yeah,... me too. I use Weld-On #4 which is a water thin/ clear solvent that just flat out looks better. Oh well,... maybe next time he'll try it.

18. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

I used the Polycarbonate Cement SC-325 from US plastics. Only thing is there's a bit of a haze where I glued some Lexan corner guard to the acrylic sheeting; not too bad though, and for my first time working with acrylic I can't complain.

19. tribaloverkill

Is it water thin or a paste?

20. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

It's a water thin fluid; I used one of their plasticators (bottle w/ 25Ga needle) to apply it to the parts that I had clamped together.