1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress RTX scratchlog: done, but not final update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Teyber, 28 Jun 2007.

1. Cathodical

Cathodical What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 17 Apr 2014
  2. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

They do make miter saw stands, but they're mostly intended for those who want to cut very long trim pieces. They also have tool stands at Sears, but I can't find the one I had in mind. It had a metal frame and a 3/4" split-top with a pressed board lower shelf, all for $30 or so.

3. Teyber

Teyber ******

i think so! i think mine has a laser, but i wasn't paying for it.(does yours?)
    tribal, any safety advice for it?

About the font, yeah i just tried putting the teyber in. Will do something a lil nicer in the future.

And about the pump housing:
    U chanel won't fit around the corners, but do you mean the bottum? i currently don't have any, but i should invest in some. How do you connect the edges?

4. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Teyb, for the fonts, I reccomend making a template the size of your images, transparent apart from a logo on a flat (muted) colour at the bottom left. Crop accordingly and it should look great. While the bevels and black works for making it visible, its kind of hard on the eye.

5. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

Hey, Teyber, are you sure you will be able to get hoses on those barbs on your pump if it's in your 'cage'? It can be a pain to get tubing on those D5 barbs, and yours don't look like they stick out very much.

6. Teyber

Teyber ******

good point, but keep there will also be a "gell stuff" thing below the pump. If it still is hard, i can put the tubing on the pump then put the tubign through the cage, then slide the cage on...

7. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

Alrighty, you may already know this, but a lot of folks have to dip the end of the tubing into boiling water before putting them on the D5's barbs. I was able to get 3/8" Tygon on there with that method.

8. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

only a real issue with smaller tubing 1/2" goes on just fine

9. Teyber

Teyber ******

10. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

11. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Hey teyber. Get an 80 tooth carbide tip saw blade for your mitre. You can use it to cut acrylic and even aluminum but I think you should have two blades for each though. Also,... about posting stuff other than your updates,... make sure you post more serious updates then misc random stuff.

12. Teyber

Teyber ******

haha already had quite teh discussion on that.

thanks for the recomendation! what did yo umean by two blades for each though?

13. tribaloverkill

Well,... aluminum will wear a blade down a bit faster then acrylic and it also smears off on the blade too. This will alll effect how the blade cuts through acrylic. Even with a sharp blade, the blade will tend to rip tiny chunks away from the edges of the cuts you make. A dull caked blade will be even worse.

14. Teyber

Teyber ******

haha o.k. my friend. Then how many teeth should i get for plastic?

15. hagatha

hagatha No Guts? No Glory!

Tribal is 100% correct... a quality 60-80 carbide blade will cut both aluminum and acrylic. When cutting aluminum, give the blade a once over with WD-40, it will keep the blade clean. I use a 60 tooth on my table saw when cutting acrylic... it seems to cut cooler and not melt the edges as much.

The metal cutting disks are for non-ferrous only.
    Lee

16. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

i am loving that shroud!

17. Teyber

Teyber ******

thanks ace!
    whoa! incredible! i actually had 2 hours tonight to mod!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, i was not liking the flat black. I sanded it down... god a lot of time sanding/painting today. Really happy with the final coat... like crazy happy! Got some new paint im in love with, but no pics of that now sorry. Started working on the fan grill, but to be honest the fan grill bores me, so i keep doing it sloppily. I started but was really tired(2 redyes in the last 3 days, to new york and back for the weekend :D ) so i stopped. I really am procrastinating with that darned fan grill... also got some u channel! tell me what you think. It was my first time using the stuff. It looks a lot better in person! i would put some around the hole for the pump, but it took up to much space.

sorry if i don't make sense, im quite tired right now. Ill go back and spell check it but please don't give me a hard time :D

Untill next time(rofl corny)

reed

haha please forgive the lion thing XD

18. Teyber

Teyber ******

alright: some sketches for fan grill
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anybody know of a free sketchup rendering software?

Any thoughts/opinions on the grills?

19. tribaloverkill

What you making that grill out of? Well, actually I dont think it matters. It's going to be very weak. Befacrful and,..... good luck cutting it out:)

20. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes