Rant Rubbish on street taking up parking spaces...

Discussion in 'General' started by LennyRhys, 20 Jan 2017.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

So this is a pretty simple one - basically one of our beloved neighbours from across the street decided to turn a caravan into a trailer. Unfortunately he didn't quite get the job finished, and instead has decided to turn it into a flatbed skip. It's been like this for over a year now, and it's getting ridiculous to have this on our street.

What I want to know is... am I wasting my time writing to the council to have this crap taken away? I remember the recent discussion about parking and how little can be done by way of intervention, however this seems somewhat different as this is not really a matter of parking because the "thing" in question isn't a vehicle.

The resident has already made clear that he basically doesn't take any notice of complaints, which makes things that little bit more difficult. Between the caravan, the small trailer and his own vehicle he's taking up three vehicle spaces on a narrow residential street. Some people... :wallbash:

[​IMG]

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm sure there's some precedent for the fact its not a roadworthy vehicle plus it doesn't seem to have any sort of reflectors or illumination.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Not sure on the laws up in Scotland tbh. In the UK though? they would basically tell you to move it, give you a date and then they would move it and send you the bill.

CB is right though, that thing is dangerous. I would be complaining about it personally. Bad enough you have "Eyesore" neighbours but that thing could be deadly.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

A guy who lived over the road from my dad used to buy cars to sell or dismantle, may of times the street was lined with cars on bricks or even on trailers not suited for a car.

As my dads wife used to work for the council he was regularly contacted to remove or it will be removed and fined, he pretty much did as his turn around was usually fast but a massive hassle to the street. (now moved, plenty of parking)

In short, council may be able to help, could this be classed as tipping? Has to be at least un-roadworthy vehicle type

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Thanks guys.

@goldstar0011 - my thoughts exactly: fly tipping, and on the street at that.

And the point about reflectors is a good one; being a caravan, it's a lot wider than a car so it juts out into the road a far bit and is nightmarish to park behind it because of its width (the street is very narrow).

Also the stuff lying on it is not secured at all, and there are a lot of kids running around on the street (not mine, thank goodness).

I hate stirring the pot but this is just beyond ridiculous...

@Vault-Tec, agree on all points. The worst of it is that these houses across the street are all council owned, and that brings its own problems to the area. :grr:

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Your neighbour looks like a tramp. Set it on fire.

Jokes aside, just contact he council anonymously to avoid any neighbour wars.

7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Not strictly an abandoned vehicle, but Dundee Council has a page for abandoned vehicles, similar to my council.
    I had a van dumped on private property last year, and the council would have taken it away as it was full of rubbish and a hazard.
    The council may be the way out with that anonymous phone call

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

^Thanks Arboreal - that's a big help. And yes I think "anonymous" is the key word in this scenario.

9. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Report it as fly tipping.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Done. Hopefully this is dealt with swiftly - I'll keep the thread up to date and I realise that this may take weeks to resolve.

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I think that's probably the best idea, the council seems the most appropriate route.