1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Rugby - Jesus vs St John's

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Lynx, 21 Jan 2009.

1. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Did my first sports shoot for one of the university papers yesterday.

I found it pretty tough going. It was the second time I had shot rugby and the game was going from end to end with a lot of turn overs. I think having to continually move up and down the touch line didn't allow me to settle into my stride and so had a lot of shots where the focus was slightly off. So overall I was not happy with the results

But here are three of my best from the match:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

How many pics did you shoot during the match? And how many of each situation?

3. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

It was about 200ish ( I had to go around half time).

The problem was that the game was very scrappy and with a lot of turnovers which meant that most of the game happened in the middle of the pitch with rucks and mauls. In fact the two tries I had were break away turn overs (so I was on the wrong side of the pitch and had no time to get to the other end).

Because it was so scrappy the ball never really made it to the wingers meaning all the shots were crowded or had flailing arms. It was ridiculously frustrating.

4. OleJ

OleJ Me!

The reason I ask is because it looks like you pretty much nailed some situations and framing is nearly there and I was considering whether you were shooting single or burstmode?

#2 is by far the best compositionally IMO.

5. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

I was shooting burst. The framing was extremely frustrating as all the action was extremely compressed and so cropping the pictures was mainly trying to stop orphaned hands and heads from the borders while trying to keep the subjects limbs in the frame.

I think it may have been one of those games where there wasn't much I could have done. Just very frustrating to have so many messy images and awkward crops but I can't see what I could have done to improve the situation.

Any ideas?

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Are you shooting in M? Or selecting shutter or aperture priority? and are you selecting focus points or staying with the center one? continuous focus or single?

If you want to know what you could have done better, it helps to know what you were doing at the time.

But I can tell you that in field games, you will be running up and down the field as much as the players are. more so if you get want to get ahead of the action.