1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Rugby Photos

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Lynx, 13 Jan 2009.

1. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Was taking some photos of the first rugby match of term today. Its my first time shooting rugby, what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Jan 2009
  2. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i like number 3 the best tho the lack of focus in the bottom of the photo is slightly distracting...

ps. the guy in the first photo is a big jesse!

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

#3 is very good yes.

Rugby is difficult to photograph as it's so hard to know when is the right moment to catch - and of course you need to be on all sides of the field to get the best shot! good effort though, would love to see more.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I'm not sure why people are liking #3..I mean I know why Fathazza does, but it's just a shot of asses in a scrum. What is there in the image that makes it good?

Now #1 has potential. But why did you crop his elbow off? and his foot? a slightly wider angle would have given it more context with without the distraction of missing body parts.

Number 2, TBH, is meh.

But #4...this I like. It has personality. I like the crop and the facial expressions are great. It's not an action shot, but more of a personal moment. Well done here.

and 5 is back to meh. 2 and 5, simply don't have anything of interest in them. and 3 is butt shots, luckily for fathazza.

I would suggest looking at the sports pages of high quality newspapers and rugby magazines. look for trends in angles and action points. Learn to follow the game with your non shooting eye (yes keep them both open) and anticipate what will happen.

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

6. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

I like #1, it's a good action shot, like JJ says though I think it could do with being wider to get more of the action in.

I really like #4, it has a good bit of emotion in it, however I would have liked to see the whole of the guy's arm (and perhaps less of the guy being felated (sp?) in the background o_O )

7. Vers

Vers ...

Wow...I would have made the exact same comments. #1 is the best of the set.

8. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately any wider and it means I have a detached head coming into the frame, which is a right royal pain!

9. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I don't agree with Johnny on number 5, 4 and 5 are probably my favourites, showing two different sides of action.

A hint for Jumeira Johnny though, when critiquing someone's work, try not to use the word "meh" so much, it's not really constructive criticism.

10. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I gave constructive criticism where I thought it would be useful, on the 2 shots I felt had something worth pursuing. But when something is meh, I'm not going to lie about it. I also pointed out some tried and true ideas to understanding what makes a good sports image. No one gets better by hearing, "wow, gee, these are all swell." when in fact they aren't.

11. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I quite agree with JJs points. Just like Vers I think he hit the nail on its head.
    #4 is my favourite of the bunch due to the guys face ;) Rugged and unpolished. (But why is that brown-haired in stripes in the background blowing the other brown haried guy in stripes?) :D