1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ruhe NMP -[No Moving Parts]-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Captain Slug, 28 Jun 2005.

1. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Hey-ho it's an update! With crappy pictures even, but I HAVE actually managed to do some physical work on the case. Well... actually I spent more time playing with my tools than actually working. And when I did start working I messed everything up (getting used to new tools is awkward).

Being completely peeved at my inability to machine anything usable yet I decided to step away from the garage for a bit and focus on how I'm going to organize the innards. This case now has to include a secondary PCI video card, which I still need to shop for. After some fiddling I managed to compress the hard drive and DVD-ROM drives into as tight a space as I could manage through the use of some creative cable origami. And then I started making a simple combo-bracket.
    [​IMG]
    I still need to go to the hardware store and get the tiny screws for the optical drive so I can drill those holes and get it mounted, but atleast I know how they fit now.
    [​IMG]
    And the whole thing will double as the motherboard tray. This is the singularly most important piece of the case since it's the one part that everything attaches to.
    [​IMG]
    Since the case layout has a change a bit I'm unsure what the final design is going to look like. It may or may not match the conceptual image because I've been having serious difficulties with the heat-warping, which I appearantly don't have the right equipment for.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2005
  2. r00t69

r00t69 What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to seeing this. 0dB ... the only way to fly :)

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

you know calling the project no moving parts and then having a hard drive is a bit of a let down :(

4. Captain Slug

:eyebrow: Did you read the rest of the thread? The hard drive is only used during the boot cycle and will eventually replaced with a solid-state drive.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2005
  5. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

So maybe not even a hard drive :cooldude:

6. Captain Slug

Well, I started over AGAIN on the case. More news as it develops.

7. Captain Slug

The new case is more linear in design and I'm working around the remote as inspiration.
    [​IMG]
    The case is primarily black with some strange white accent pieces that I won't describe yet. The exterior dimensions are now 12x8x3" and the case will stand vertical. It's about the same size as an older Playstation 2.
    It's progressing fairly well and I'm getting more comfortable with the new tools, especially the scrollsaw. But I don't have anything interesting to show yet so everyone will just have to wait for now. :p
    I need to straighten up some of my work areas before I can make more progress though so I'm not sure when updates will be forthcoming.

8. Captain Slug

My feet were killing me by the end of today so I decided to conceptualize the new design to it's final stage.
    [​IMG]
    More to show tomorrow.

9. Captain Slug

My room is extremely clean now after alot of work, but the garage can stay messy since it's still functional that way. All of the work involving the table saw is now finished, so all that's left for me to do now is detail work, drilling, and glueing. Everything left for me to do is measured and marked and I'll hopefully be able to get a significant amount of the remaining work done tomorrow morning before work.
    [​IMG]
    The white front-panel sheet is the one on the left with all the marking on it, and all of the pen-shaded areas need to be cut out. The one on the right is a faceplate underside piece that I messed up the drilling on. The smaller pieces with 5 holes are the top and bottom venting panels.

10. Captain Slug

Graaaaaaaah! My hands hurt alot after having spent 6 hours cutting plastic with the scrollsaw today. Everything you see on the desk will be assembled, glued, drilled, and tapped in the next few days. I've very close to completing this case, then I can get all obsessive with the wiring and lights.
    [​IMG]

11. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Good work so far, keep it up :)

12. Captain Slug

Alot of progress today.
    As you can see, the case can now be put together in one piece.
    [​IMG]
    The case panels are done and I'm currently working on the slim DVD-ROM drive bracket which still needs to dry.
    [​IMG]
    Things left to do
    1. Drill mounting holes for DVD-ROM and it's bracket.
    2. Buy the tiny screws for the DVD-ROM drive
    3. Drill hard drive mounting holes
    4. Mount the power supply PCB
    5. Make nameplate
    6. Glue the face and trim pieces on (last step)

13. Captain Slug

I finished the DVD-ROM drive bracket after finding the screws I need in my screw organizer.
    The front trim pieces are glued and will need to sit overnight before I can peel off the protective paper. Then I can start adding the other trim pieces.
    [​IMG]

The only remaining hurdle now is figuring out a mounting mechanism for the power supply which has only one very very small mounting hole.

14. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

wow... looks.... so small!

looking good :D it looks quite funky now, and i like all the extra trim pieces :D

15. Captain Slug

Sleep-deprivation Powers Activate!
    90% done
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Left to do
    1. File down DVD-ROM drive screws
    2. Dye DVD-ROM faceplate black
    3. Cut and glue remaining trim pieces
    4. Make nameplate
    5. Mount Power LED

I need to order some parts as well.

16. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

holy crap! that is tiny!!!! wtf! so small

damn man, cant wait to see this 100% done now! it looks awesome!

17. Captain Slug

Today was mostly interior work that you won't be able to distinguish from the outside, ecpet for one notable item. The Power LED! I can't make this a trip-the-light-fantastic machine because it's going next to a TV that people plan on watching so it has to be just enough to let everyone know that the machine is turned on (especially since it doesn't make any noise).
    The fun starts when the lights go out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was the most accurate picture I could take of the power LED illuminating the trim and the clear acrylic "eye".
    [​IMG]
    And this was the most dramatic picture I could take.
    [​IMG]
    And as a parting shot (for now) here's the Ruhe staring at the remote.
    [​IMG]

This machine is 98% done now. I just need to make the nameplate, paint/dye the drive faceplate, and then install the video card when it arrives.

18. Captain Slug

Haha, I just realized I never bothered to show the back of this machine.
    [​IMG]
    There are two screws missing on purpose. They don't need to be there for structural support since the corner braces hold the back in place, and it saves me the hassle of having to undo 2 fewer screws when I need to remove the back.
    The power/reset button is in the back to prevent prying fingers from turning this machine off. The PCI slot ended up being alot easier to do than I thought it would be. There's still (theoretically anyways) enough space inside to potentially install a full size hard drive should the need arise in the distant future.

19. Captain Slug

The nameplates are almost done, I just need to sand them down a bit.
    I figured out that instead of having to tediously draw a grid to work from on the piece, I could print and cut out a white label to plot out where I need to make the cuts. The label is simply applied onto the protective paper on the plastic sheet.
    [​IMG]
    And here's how it will look on the case once I get a new solvent applicator syringe.
    [​IMG]

All of the cutting spaces were drill with a pilot hole. The tiny triangle under the "R" was tediously wittled out using an X-acto knife. The rest of the cutting work was done with the scrollsaw.

Edit: Why isn't anyone replying? :nono:

Last edited: 28 Sep 2005
  20. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

impressive, the front panel is awesome. Especially with the red eye!