1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour - Apple to ditch Intel for ARM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 May 2011.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

What do you consider low-power Nexxo? Isn't 17 Watt for the newest i5/i7 chips considered low-power anymore? And they sure are way more beefy then currently available ARMs.

Intel does have the ability to produce beefy low-power chips imho, they only didn't put that much efforts into that direction during the last few years.
    However, looking into the specifications for the current Atom Z-series, they're allready very much low-power with some 2.4 Watt for a 2GHz Z550 -> http://www.intel.com/de_DE/products/processor/atom/index.htm#specifications

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yes, however the chances of Mac OS and Windows getting more and more similar (and with it applications) is certainly higher than if they are designed from ground up for different hardware. Sure, it didn't happen for Linux which is still very different from Windows, but Apple wants the Consumer market to buy its products, so they have to move their OS closer to Windows anyway.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

...but MacOS is based on Unix, so it's a lot closer to Linux than it is to Windows.
    Most major applications are available for both platforms anyway, so similarity or not is a moot point.

I think Apple are quite happy being seen as an "elite" brand since it means that they can charge a price premium for their systems, despite the fact that a MacBook is virtually identical in terms of hardware specs to any other laptop.

4. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

what he said, MS has made it known that they are work on a version of Windows 8 the runs on ARM, what possible reason would apple have not to do the same.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

As in: suitable for mobile devices. The Atom does not have a brilliant performance to power consumption ratio. This is made even worse by combining it with a chipset that uses five times as much power as the Atom does. Nuts. Meanwhile we have the ARM, VIA Nano and nVidia's Tecra being carefully designed for mobile applications.

6. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

As far as I know Intel haven't issued a statement to deny this and it would be in their interest to do so ... so it could very well be true!

Tags: Add Tags