1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Rumour: Ivy Bridge to have 77W TDP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 18 Oct 2011.

1. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Awesome. Looks like watercooling may only be necessary for SB-E.

Getting a real itch for a new build, but am going to wait another 6 for Ivy Bride/new nVidia GPUs. I'm sure it will be well worth it.

2. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

I'm still waiting for word on the 2700K.

3. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

4 w/HT. No way Intel is going to drop an 8-core out of the blue, especially on the 'tock' part of the cycle.

WIth BD just come out and falling a little flat, and more on IB leaking out just lately, I haz a sad. I've been with AMD almost all the way - I've only ever owned two Intel systems, an ancient laptop and an even more ancient desktop. AMD might be leading up to something huge with the BD arch, once the rest of the industry catches up with what it's doing, but more and more it seems like it might be time to defect. I really don't want to, as I'd like to do whatever tiny part I can to keep AMD in the consumer space, but it's been making less sense with every generation for the past 4 (of Intel's generations - it's only been two for AMD, and that's exactly the problem.)

Damnit, Intel, stop being so much better! :mad:

4. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Unfortunate there still seems to be some uncertainty on backwards compatibilty. If I could be 100% sure that ivy bridge would be compatible with P67 or Z68 boards I would buy a 2500k now and replace the CPU after Ivy bridge launches.
    Intel should give a difinitive answer as to compatible motherboards.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Ivy Bridge is a Tick (or Tick + going by what Intel say) not a Tock.

Tick is defined by a new process node but utilising the same architecture whilst Tock is defined by a new architecture.

Intel are defining Ivy Bridge as a Tick+ because it has some arhictectural changes - especially to the IGP but is mostly just a process shrink.

You are right about not dropping a 8 core out of the blue, especially on what they class as the "mainstream" platform.

SB-E or IB-E will introduce 6 (and no doubt 8 core) processors on the SB architecture.

6. ven

ven What's a Dremel?

I think it will be nice if we have socket for the chipset also (may seems crazy) instead of sticking on the board.
    degree of upgrade will be more...

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Maybe with Ivy Bridge we will get 8 core cpu's as Intel have said we are not get Sandy Bridge E 8 core cpu's because the TDP would be around 150w - 180w.

When I do my build in around March next year I will see what is around at the time but if they make a 8 core Ivy Bridge by then and it outperform's the, 6 core Sandy Bridge E cpu's then I will be buying 1 of those.

8. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Not sure about Intel necessarily providing this info, but Asus are already there : http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8P67+PRO+(REV+3.1)&p=1&s=39

9. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

forgot to add - expand the bios section of that page

10. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Intel: ∞, AMD: 0

11. Ajhayter

Ajhayter What's a Dremel?

Looks good to me.

Might be a worthy upgrade from the i7 920, especially with being able to adjust the multiplier on the desktop.

12. storm_temple

storm_temple What's a Dremel?

I just wanted to know. When you guys upgrade your PCs. which is still very reliable and can run win 7.
    What do you do with your old PCs? sell them? whole? parts? turn them to HTPC? donate to relatives friends 3rd world country?

13. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Marketplace them, brah.

14. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

Sounds good. Ivy Bridge will be in my next PC along with the next NVIDIA card as I was planning on upgrading between now and next summer anyway.

15. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

You definitely won't be seeing 8 core Ivy bridge CPU's, they will be reserved strictly for the high end enthusiast section, If they don't come along with Sandy-E on LGA 2011 they they will probably come along with IVY-E on LGA 2011

Tags: Add Tags