1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: Microsoft to offer free Windows 7 upgade

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Wait. What?

Does that mean I could get Win 7 Ultimate for next to bugger all on my Vista Ultimate OEM license?

Time to read that Tech ARP article..

nevermind..

3. The Jambo

The Jambo Last on the scene

an OEM of the new OS will only be ~£110 anyway, with Home premium nearly half that.

Not exactly a bit price to pay for an OS.

4. naokaji

naokaji whatever

They did the same before the release of vista, if you bought a pc with xp on it from participating oems you would get the ability to upgrade to vista for free once it was launched.

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Since the whole world is in a so called crisis. Everybody is keeping the hand on the pockets. The media is screaming "murder and fire" thats inflicting the effect of mass hysteria, "when people are told long enoungh something is true, they are going to believe it".

Thats a fact that is used since the early 1900 to get people buy stuff they don't really need, via radio and commercials. Repeat it long enough and people are going to believe they need it. This invention is called "economy". Its a fictional thing and always will be. The fact in all his origin is 'we' do not need all the stuff, we can do with some land, (for crops/animals) water and a house to live in to foresee in our needs to live.

So 'they' (media and all others screaming disaster) should say "buy stuff" to get the economy going again. Microsoft is doing a good thing here to encourage consumers to buy 'things' again in the economic circle.

6. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

You think they would want users to move away from XP rather than Vista,it would probably work for me!

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

We have reached the point where the crisis has become real, simply put, millions have lost their jobs due to it, all those people are unable to spend anything now.

8. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

But I like not being a farmer and buying my food from the supermarket. How do I get money with no economy? I enjoy all my household items and reading bit tech on the internet on my PC, all benefits of an economy... And electricity! But no you're right, that is unnecessary, I want to do it your way. Please do tell me sir how I can acquire a house, land, animals, clothes and crops with no economic process. Doesn't everything rely on a circulation of money? I don't think you thought this through...

9. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Are you Amish? :eyebrow:

I dont really like Microsoft's marketing strategies either, but this... :duh:

Last edited: 12 Feb 2009
  10. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

But this is only for people who are going to buy a new copy of vista after 1st July, who is still buying new copies of xp during that time? unless it's on a netbook?

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It's just so people that are considering purchasing Vista now are encourage to do so and not wait until Win7 comes out. Better the cash in MS's pocket now than in 9 months time.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Installed Win7 today under a dual boot, must say my first thoughts were, oooooooo this is interesting.

I might actually skip vista and wait until Win7 is offically out. As a buisness 32-bit version would be ideal for my laptop.

Question is it possible that Win7 to be less demanding of a system compared to XP? As i have heard of people using win7 on netbooks. And anyway to pull some extra speed from my laptop and add some nice features of the new OS.

13. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

So get off the internet already. "Fictional" he says.

14. Burnin'

Burnin' FPS gamer

Dude!!! Pull your act together

Let me guess... you're the only kid the your "Village" with a computer, electricity and internet access. You probably also own a TV, a fridge, a microwave oven, a kitchen, etc... And right now you're babling about the ''fictional'' economy and Microsoft Windows 7 while the rest of your "comrades" are working the land, feeding the animals and/or drilling water from a freaking well!!!??

That's kind of hypocritical don't you think?

15. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

All I have to say is....Bonzai!!

16. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

why cant MS just release W7 and get on with it? i want to upgrade from XP but theres no chance im going back to Fista (felt like I'd been fisted anyway)

17. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

You can buy windows?

18. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I think you mean "people who are considering purchasing a PC now...".

Joe Public doesn't want to think his £1200+ investment is obsolete the day Win7 comes out, or that he has to fork out another wad of cash to get the latest OS.

As said, a similar deal (using vouchers) was done when Vista was on the near horizon , but a great deal of confusion resulted IIRC with (XP) software-only purchases. People thought they'd found a loophole to a cheap copy of Vista then found they were wrong. :duh:

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Yup, different types of glass to put in them too.

20. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Hmm, maybe I should sell my copy of Vista now and buy a new one so I can get a free upgrade.

Tags: Add Tags