1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour mill claims Longhorn has a real name

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 21 Feb 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Just not a 'real' shipping date... ;)

Our Haz muses on the purported 'real' name of Longwait:

DO WE HAVE the new name of Longhorn revealed today? According to sources at Microsoft, we think we might. While Longhorn has been the much-mentioned codename for the next-generation Windows technology, a Microsoft mole came to us at the weekend with some news of high-level branding discussions that appear to have yielded a name for the new Windows. It could all just be the rankest of speculation, however.
    Microsoft Windows e-XPedition.

Expedition, geddit? Apparently, marketing suits are happy that the name evokes ideas of the 'e-home' as well as the familiar 'XP' and Media Centre 'Edition', elements of which are all found in Longhorn. It also echoes the 'Where do you want to go today?' slogan, which has become a Microsoft catchphrase.

We couldn't get any confirmation of the name from anyone within Microsoft, so you can treat this one as a rumour for now. We are, however, expecting an announcement pretty soon - possibly at WinHEC, to counteract the negative buzz of not actually showing a Beta version of the OS there.

Will man land on Mars before Longhorn ships? We think we should be told.

L'inquage

Expedition eh? Descriptive... It will certainly have been an expedition and a half by the time we finally find it on the shelves. Oh, and reports stating that Bill's 'real' name is Rumplestiltskin are unsubstantiated... :D

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thank god i dont own a gun, otherwise id be tempted to shoot myself.

How lame can you get. They might as well stick with Longhorn - at least everyone know's what it is.

3. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

:confused: is that the best they could do! 4 thousand cups of coffee later, 5million spent in board meetings lets put "pedia" on the end of XP and make is a different shade of blue, oooh and a nice little clock on the side...why not call is XP-Flava-Flave :hip: :eyebrow:

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

thats just pure crappy...an they pay millions of $$$ for these people to think that crap up???

just stick to longhorn

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

well XP as it is now is eXPerience it's no less creative. However considering most of the non-tech-savvy people I know hate XP with a passion and far prefer 98 (yeah I don't get it either, I guess they like BSODs or are more fearful of upgrading their 300mhz crapper than my dad) it might not be the best idea.

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

My money's on Windows 2010 :D

7. Uber_K

Uber_K What's a Dremel?

Bah... as much as I don't like Gates and his marketing schemes, etc, I'm still going to pay a crap load of money for this stupid OS... damn you, neccessity...

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I know dozens of people still using 98... I've even semi-considered getting some old parts and setting up a Win3.11 machine for old DOS games and whatnot :D There's no necessity. If he's smart though he'll charge less and reduce the piracy rates, especially as DIY is becoming much more mainstream and there's not a big risk of seeing a pirated copy of windows on a dell.

9. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

Last edited: 31 Jan 2013
Tags: Add Tags