1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: New socket to replace LGA1366 due in 2011

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 12 Apr 2010.

1. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

This is basically the reason i didnt want to go for 1366. Its pretty much had 1 reasonably priced CPU during its life (920, replaced by 930). It may get a non EE six core chip in late 2010, and thats it.

2. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Wow, I'm still on my x48 maximus SE lol :p

Guess i'll just skip x58 and wait till 2011 for the new socket, games are pretty much GPU limited anyhow and 4ghz on the q6600 isnt going to slow much down anytime soon.

Waiting till crysis 2 before I spend any dosh though...

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Not really as this will be the X58 LGA1366 replacement. X58 will be EOL by this point (as no doubt will the i7 in its current form).

4. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

If this drives down the 1366 extremes in a few years this will be nice because I can then upgrade my 965 to a 975 or better without losing another G lol.

5. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Bloody ell...havent even managed to save up for an i7 core yet.

6. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

On an i3/15/i7 the memory is directly connected to the CPU

7. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Yea but who knows what the memory will be connected to on the new boards! That is what is so scary!

8. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I wouldn't bother waiting for that. If it can run on a 360 it can run on anything.

My question is, what becomes of i5 in all of this?

9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Hmm, I'm still on 775 (not alone by the looks of it), so I'm looking forward to upgrading my cpu/mobo and memory all at the same time. Who knows, maybe AMD will retake the high ground next year, then I could continue my unbroken stretch of alternating manufacturers each upgrade.

(and thanks to BlackMage for pointing out the cheapness of quad cores on ebay, I think I'll have a little incremental upgrade sometime this year)

10. ddg4005

ddg4005 A man must have a code.

I'm still running Socket 775 boards and CPUs in both my boxes. I wasn't planning on upgrading either of them until SATA 6G, USB3.0, and PCIe 3.0 are natively supported in an Intel chipset. Maybe by 2012 that'll happen.

11. ab2c4

ab2c4 What's a Dremel?

This is all good news to me. I am currently running a q9550 and I can't justify right now paying the cost to upgrade to an i7 quad core setup. Two years from now I would be in an excellent position to upgrade to an 8-core (I would have gotten all I could get out of the q9550 by then for gaming). Or, depending on how much the cpu/mobo/ram would cost, possibly a higher clocked 6-core if the price difference was large enough.

Regardless of upgrading to a 6 or 8 core setup, it would be a huge upgrade over my socket 775 system I am currently running and worth the money to do so at that point.

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I already decided that I wouldn't buy a whole new system until 6+ cores was the norm, sounding like the new socket will be the time for that. Though who knows if this E6750 will follow me all of the way there...

Probably the CPU again. No real reason to go back on that change.

13. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I was just thinking the same thing :D

14. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Makes you wonder if leaving i7 alone and just get a cheap i5 setup.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

To be honest, i7 isn't exactly going to become slow overnight ;)

16. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

April 27th, Thuban aka Phenom II x6 1055T and 1090T launch, if I was buying around now I'd be looking at AM2/3 rather than 1156.

17. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Memory slots is a big selling point for the new blade Cisco is selling (and the rest of the hardware to go with it). It can support 48 DIMMs (with some limitations).

But the article says it 4 channels, not 4 DIMMs per CPU. If the CPU can support a 3 DIMM per channel configuration like some of the Xeon stuff now does, then you have 12 DIMMs per CPU for a total of 24 DIMMs which is quite good.

As for the socket, I had personally hoped QPI would help here and let at least some of the stuff they are building onto the CPU sit close to it but allow for a common interconnect. But I hoped FB-DIMMs would have matured to allow for a common memory interface as well, and that was pure wishful thinking.

18. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Was looking towards an i7 set-up in the next couple of months as my current skt939 system is starting to show its age (still handles everything I throw at it though).

Another socket type doesn't bother me as the current i7 on 1366 will blow away my current AMD rig, as that is about 4-5 years old and went EOL ages ago I think the i7 would probably last me the same amount of time regardless of whether it was EOL or not.

19. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

The ex58-ud3r, the old budget x58 board, has only 4 DIMM slots to save space and money. As previously stated, Intel are banking on 4GB sticks being more main stream. But even still, unless you're doing something other than the norm (VMs, or as I do, scientific simulation), 4x2GB on your system will be plenty.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

May I highlight that at this point nothing is confirmed by Intel itself.

It could well be that Xeons support more than 1 DIMM per channel, but I would expect that Xeons will have LR-DIMM support for greater DIMM counts.

Tags: Add Tags