1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: Nvidia GT300 architecture revealed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 23 Apr 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

interesting, but MIMD is a lot more complex to design, so unless they get this perfect, they'll suffer another Fx series.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Absolutely: parallelism is very hard to code for, especially if you come from a non-parallel background. Unless nVidia have gone out and hired a bunch of parallel knowledgeable coders, it may take some time for the drivers to become useable to any degree.

Also, how is the parallelism going to be handled by DirectX?

(Forum link missing in article, btw)

4. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

It sounds exciting, big and expensive, but exciting. I only hope, that game developers do not waste the potential of these cards, by watering down their graphics engines to suit the consoles.

5. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Hope nVidia nails it this time... Don't get me wrong, I have a 4870, but nVidia can't just live on renamings and on bad choice architectures (GT200 is good, but too big)...

If nVidia fails this one, they will be in trouble... :s

6. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I've already got a CPU, I don't need another one!

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

But if the GPU is capable of managing "the world", including physics and anything else that affects that world, then the CPU could be freed for other tasks such as more realistic AI.

8. SuperNova

SuperNova What's a Dremel?

Interesting approach but i wonder if nVidia isn't focusing a bit to much on Larrabee... It will take some time for everything to be programmed to use all this power (just look at when dual core cpus came). To focus on this now might be a bit optimistic and potentially take focus form other, say pure game-oriented parts. They usually work parallel with new architectures so i wonder how recent they charged their plans to match Larrabee (if thet did).
    I bet AMD if focusing a lot on that shared frame buffer for their GPUs. If AMD solves that and make a great and cheap gamingcard they will stal market shares and gain more money. Making it easier to invest in future architectures when the software is closer to the market.

But it will be the software (development) of software that decides which architecture to go for, unfortunately its often a slow process. If AMD, nVidia and Intel had MIMD as a main focus there wouldn't be much of a problem though. because it would be equal for all and speed up the development.

9. Goty

Goty Minimodder

More extraneous processing means less power for raw graphics, though.

10. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

funny, the way i look at it, ATI...err...AMD is going to be in trouble if they dont come up with something groundbreaking...... im not talkin bout "gamers" community, but overall PC-users.... theyre all on nvidia.... thx to the marketing budget.....

since radeon9800 family i havent seen a single ATI pr...er... AMD... product that can take a clear shot at nvidia's lineup.

in my perspective, nvidia can afford tinkering around with this technology. and larrabee isnt even a threat. so here's for their best success in (finally) getting some fresh stuff out of the oven... im bored.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

interesting read on that blog.. either way nvidia is going to be in trouble.. I know if I had a choice to put everything under one heatsink- that's the way I'd go- I'm afraid nvidia is gonna get owned in the long run..

but I am glad to see this changed the r&d from milking to- we gotta get it in gear.. might see some good stuff next year

12. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

The HD 4850 and 4870 are definitely very competitive with nVidia's stuff.

13. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I'm pretty sure the 4870 X2 had the performance crown for a while too

Tags: Add Tags