1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running a Northwood without the heatr spreader

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Armand Karlsen, 15 Jan 2004.

1. Armand Karlsen

Armand Karlsen What's a Dremel?

A few months ago, I had a Northwood 1.8GHz system running quite happily at 2.7GHz, but I had to retire it after I botched a mod to the heat spreader and it would no longer make proper contact with the core. Temps were easily 10-15'C too high even after clocking it back down to 1.8GHz. Is it possible to run a PIV with a cooler on the bare core? I'd think I'd need to either use a shim around the core to prevent crushing, or put a spacer on the cooler to make up for the smaller height of the CPU without the spreader.

2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Yes you can, it's no more dangerous than running any Athlon ;) Just remember to clean off all the gunk that Intel have put between the IHS and the core, and then put on some of your own (just over the core, not the rest of the chip). You'll probably lose a few degrees in core temp too, without the slight insulating effect of the IHS. I hear they're a bitch to get off, though.

As for the shim/spacer idea, shims are never a good idea IMO. It's very hard to get the distance right, and if you're not spot-on it either makes no difference to the crushability of the core, or prevents proper contact. As long as the springs on the clip for the HSF aren't too weak, the small difference in height with the IHS off shouldn't make a difference. As I remember, P4 3.0 and 3.2s are actually a little bit taller than the lower-specced chips (or maybe they just felt bigger :D) so it should be fine.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

possible? yes
    recommended? no

the core of a northwood is VERY delicate, this is normally not a problem because it is under the heatspreader, but with no heatspreader it wont take much to kill it or crush it, even the pressure of a heatsink may be enough to kill it

edit: beat me to it

4. Kameleon

My opinion is slightly different, though ;)

From what I've heard, the main problem is actually getting the thing off in the first place, after that as long as you don't put the HSF on at an angle there's not that much risk of crushing.

EDIT - It's gotta be a better idea than running with an improperly attached IHS, surely?

5. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Intel mobile processors are examples of Intel processors without heatspreaders. Their cores are fine... and the NW ones are no more delicate than that.

If you do search around different forums, you will see that there used to be quite a few people running them without the heatspreaders, and this usually allowed them to get better temps and overclocking results too.

Even the Intel retail heatsink can be used on the processor without the heatspreader and it makes adequate contact with the bare core to keep temps normal ... if not lower than before.

Use your judgement.

I wouldnt recommend running the bare core under a Zalman heatsink that weight close to 750g ... that might be pushing your luck a bit.

6. Mister_Tad

i know someone that whipped a heatspreade off a P4 2GHz and it was really delicate and he mashed it putting on the stock hsf
    although maybe that was a williamette and not a northwood

but either way, it was toast

7. Kameleon

Did he, perchance, sit on said CPU first? :D

8. Mister_Tad

no telling
    although i wouldnt be surprised, hes an idiot :D
    yes the 2GHz cpu was around £500 at the time :hehe:

9. Armand Karlsen

The thing is, I want to overclock the CPU again. I don't think the stock Intel cooler will let me go very far. The only other cooler I've got is a monster Swiftech MCX-4000, with the through-the-motherboard bolt monting system - I don't think that system is designed to take different thicknesses of CPU.

10. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

I would suggest asking about this in the procooling.com liquid cooling forum. There are quite a few folks who have carried out this mod.

8-ball

EDIT: 1000 posts!!! :clap: :D

11. Armand Karlsen

I've heard about "direct die" waterblocks, but what about air-cooling?

12. Mister_Tad

you mean air cooling without a heatsink?? that is an accident waiting to happen

13. Fraggster

Fraggster What's a Dremel?

PICS? :eeek: I want to see what a nekkid p4 looks like :baby:

14. Darv

Darv Bling!!

With a heatsink like that you shouldnt have a problem with the different height CPU. It can be tightened up until it is making the exact right kind of contact you need.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

or Xtremesystems.org forums :)

they're insane over there tho, be warned :D

16. Armand Karlsen

Ye flipping gods no! Direct-die watercooling as in a waterblock that runs the water directly over the CPU die, without any copper/whatever in between.

17. Armand Karlsen

OK then. Now I only have to worry about the weight of the heatsink crushing the core as I lay it on and tighten it.

18. Mister_Tad

it sounded there like you knew there was direct die watercooling but were wondering if you could do it with air, i guess i misunderstood
    that would be rather silly to say the least :duh:

19. Armand Karlsen

http://www.sandpile.org/impl/pics/intel/p4/478fc.jpg is a pic of the s478 PIV without a heat spreader. It's not mine, but I can tell you it's exactly like that. Nothing special.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG