1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks running an apache server across a LAN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FL@MeS, 26 Mar 2002.

1. FL@MeS

FL@MeS What's a Dremel?

ok, i have only recently installed apache, with PHP extensions so this is a n00b question...

but i was wondering if it is possible to run an Apache server across a LAN, so ppl could use IE to access pages on my "localhost"

sorry about my n00b-ishness:eyebrow:

2. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

Not sure what you are looking to do... If you have Apache installed and the daemon started any machine should be able to see it provided they know the address of the server...

Assuming you are on your private LAN they'd need to adress it by ip or wins name for a windoze network. something the likes of http://10.1.1.1 or http://hostmane (windoze with WINS resolution)

Unless you add and entry to the HOSTS file for each box or run a private domain and DNS server to find it by a host/domain name.

3. PhsyCon

PhsyCon What's a Dremel?

Yeh, that's what i'm looking to do. Just havn't got round to doing eet :dude:

Basically, You wanna run an intranet yes?
    Well, yes you can. Bare in mind though that localhost won't be the name/ip address of your *nix box. Localhost is reffering to the machine that you are currently on. So like that other guy up there said you need that box's IP address, then in IE you would type either the computer name if you have WINS on or the Ip address in the address bar.

You might want to think about setting apache so users from the outside can't get it
    a) for security reasons (if you're somewhat new at this) and
    b) just privicy.

Not sure how you go abou doing that, but i can be done.. that's assuming that box *is* connected to that net?!

later
    -Ryan

4. neuro

neuro What's a Dremel?

i think thats what he was getting at, so no one else other than his local network can view is pages.

Tags: