1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Running TFT's from PC PSU?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Penrhos, 9 May 2004.

1. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

I got a batch of Compaq TFT 450's from work that were being scrapped. they need +5VDC @ 2.5A and +12VDC @ 2.5A according to the broken PSU i have.

I have metered the pinouts on a working PSU and they are simple.
    +12,+12,GND,GND,+5,+5 reading anti-clockwise looking into the ps/2 power connector with the key at 12 o'clock with the sheild also ground. So if I take a molex connector and crimp the wires into 3 pairs then into the molex for 12,gnd,shield,5 will it cause any problems to the PSU on power-up?
    Also if I remove the insides and mount them inside a case like a window will I need to make any extra rfi/emf shielding to protect the motherboard etc?

I got 5 of these working now so would like to be able to use them for something...

2. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

Easy to connect to 12v & 5V but 2.5A is a lot to use from your 12V supply..

What connector on the TFT?

e-mail njc@buchanbroad.org.uk as I may have some suitable PSU's?

3. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

2.5 A is a lot, but the psu should handle it if it is a newer one and a good brand.

if you pc isn't a massive power hog, (raid array, dual procs, multiple vid cards...) a 450 W psu should be fine, as for start up, it shouldn't cause any trouble, but, if it does, try one of the delay circuits floating around for the radeons.

Lucky strike man :thumb: