1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Russian government recalls Modern Warfare 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

Uh, that would be because they are the baddies in the game? Don't they realise it's just a fictional story?

3. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Well you say that, but can you imagine the backlash if it had been the other way around. You are a Russian defending Moscow form the American invaders. The US would blow up with rage

4. scawp

scawp New Member

simple solution for Activision "localization"! Swap the character models of the Americans and Russians and change the airport name to "LAX". Doubt they'll complain about that!

5. scawp

scawp New Member

bodkin bet me to it!

6. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Honestly, I wouldn't bat an eyelid, but if there was gratuitous boobs [gasp] or worse then we'd have a situation on our hands.

7. scawp

scawp New Member

how about changing the location to the house of parliament and having the Queen running around with a gatling gun? "One is quite cross, motherf***ers"

bigsharn and Arkanrais like this.
  8. Aracos

Aracos New Member

I so want that to happen now, imagine if the queen even done the voiceover!

9. sear

sear Guest

I can understand their objection, especially in light of the semi-recent shooting in Germany, though I'm not sure if censorship and banning are the best options. I actually find the moral outrage in the United States over the scene quite funny, because you'd think the Americans would be all too happy to bring gratuitous death to some Ruskies. Maybe FOX News omitted the bit about it taking place in Moscow and not Orlando.

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Could it be a first?? Uk version of a game has more content than some other other country =O surprised it isn't banned here too under political correctness, everyone knows russians arn't terrorists, the talaban are!!

11. tejas

tejas New Member

Yes it is fictional. However it is a typical story of powerful America doing "good" along with Britain a spent power now totally irrelevant, still pretending it is important.

Oh wait... that was a commentary on contemporary political life. The Russians have every right to be angry as apparently the British are the saviors of the world according to Activision. More like Obama's toilet roll I would say.

12. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

What's russian for Waaaambulance?

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Boohoohoo!
    So a game uses a stereotype about terrorists? Woop-di-****in'-doo! It's a G-A-M-E!

Just another example of people making decisions when not having the slightest clue what they're talking about. :sigh:

14. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

@tejas our empire might be long dead but calling the British armed forces and in particular UKSF in very naive

15. scawp

scawp New Member

A large American based games company selling vast quantities of said game in America would be stupid not to, especially over the subject matter (War and the fact many American troops have died in recent years).

So they picked on Russian for this game, what other "super power" is there to pick on? China? North Korea? Canada? Wales? I'm sure all these will be dealt with in the next installments. Although I reckon if it was North Korea they wouldn't have just banned the game, they would have just sent the nukes into IW HQ as well. :p

16. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Can I ask someone who has played the game, is it possible to play either side? ie. can you be a defending ruskie and can you play an attacking ruskie?

If not ... why the ballache not? I thought pubs had got departments dedicated to localisation these days? International sensitivity?

17. Joeymac

Joeymac New Member

Didn't Activision expect this? As some one said above.. it would be unbelievable if this was the other way around. A game which you 'played part in massacre in a US Airport as a terrorist' would cause the middle of American to implode from rage overload. It would be the biggest story the world had ever know. I'm with the Russians, they should have asked for more and made Activision re-do the scene exactly the same but with American's.

18. Autti

Autti New Member

Russia can fight back by making a game about the American war effort, ala Dick Cheney pawning of jobs to ex-military "security" companies who kill people because they get paid to do so, not by a government but by a corporation.

I doubt it would go down well in America... oh wait its true...

19. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

If this was a movie, no one would be complaining. Once it becomes interactive, it becomes a problem even if it's pro or anti [insert country here].

The good guys alway get priority in games. One reason you'll never see a WWII, were you play a Nazi (Not a American/British spy) in single player.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2009
  20. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish New Member

Lol, i'd so buy that game for the sheer comedy value :clap:

Tags: Add Tags