1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU RX480 using 6pin ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GTIgeneral, 30 Sep 2016.

1. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

Hey Bit-tech peoples

So my brother just bought a Saphire RX480 8GB Nitro+ only to realize that he only has 6pin connectors on his power supply. The PSU in question is a Novatech branded 400w power station semi modular PSU, Before everyone starts having a go for having a cheap power supply ive been running the 600w version for years and I done some research on them a while back and they are supposed to be rebranded from the originalk manufacturer (cant be bothered to google it but was a decent make from what i remember).

So the PSU has 2x6pin connectors but the nitro+ has a single 8 pin connector, would it be safe to use a 6pin to 8pin adapter? or a 2x6pin to 8 pin adapter? this would only be a temporary solution until he can spare the cash for a new PSU in a month or two.

Here's a pic of the side of the PSU, sorry for the potato quality.

[​IMG]

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm going to say yes, provided his CPU isn't stupidly overclocked - I mean, like REALLY stupidly overclocked with the voltage far above spec.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

IIRC those PSUs are made by Sirfa? something like that. Anyhoo, they're the same PSUs that OCZ used to use and the same ones they used for their Fatal1ty PSUs so they're not bad by any means.

An 8 pin is the same as a 6 pin only it has two extra ground wires. So you should be able to get a converter that adds them or you can pull them from somewhere else.

As Pete says I would be careful though, as 400w is quite close to the wire. Maybe buy a power meter and see how much the rig is pulling? better to be safe than sorry.

4. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

the CPU is only a G3258 @ 4GHZ, can't remember the voltage but it was only slightly higher than stock.

Besides that there's an SSD, HDD, H70 and 3 fans, I think 400w should be enough. I'll have to have a look at getting a power meter, be curious to test it on different things

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It should be okay with a little G3258. If he gets any weird instant shutdowns or black screens, I'd be pointing at the PSU as a first port of call.

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

yeah minimum recommended is 500W

the Stock AMD RX480 is a single 6 pin but most 3rd party versions are single 8 pins

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I watched a review where even a heavily overclocked 480 only pulled ~150W by itself. Let's say ~100W for the CPU (which is probably a fair bit higher than its actual consumption. That leaves 150W for everything else, which they are nowhere near.

I think I remember my old overclocked 4790K and 980Ti (also overclocked) pulling ~310-350W as a whole system while gaming (very similar to what you've said), so there's that!

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah you could well be right that CPU pulls hardly any power at all tbh.