1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Ryanair carry on luggage 10kg limit - is it enough?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bungletron, 25 Jun 2010.

1. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Going away to France from Luton on budget airline Ryanair in July and am thinking of just taking carry on. I don't think size will be an issue but the 10kg weight limit may be a challenge, when you take into account the weight of the bag, laptop and tech (plus their chargers) and obviously clothes then I think I could go over. Does anyone know how the 10kg limit is enforced, do they weigh hand luggage too?

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Size DOES matter, as it will go in the Over Head Storage Locker. They don't strictly enforce hand luggage weight, but they do check the size of it, so i would be very careful. That's EasyJet's policy, which i would think is very similar to RyanAir, although RyanAir use slightly larger aircraft (RyanAir-737-, EasyJet-Airbus A319) so it may be different. Best Check RyanAir's website for any info on Hand Luggage, or Google Search, sure loads of people have asked/answered the same sort of question.

Sam

3. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

For enforcement, theyll prob charge you to high heven for anything over the 10kg limit and make you stuff it in the hold. Anything over 20kg is considered too heavy for the ground crew and theyll prob make you empty the bag at the desk. pre-gate travel shops selling bags make a killing on at this stage as people are desperate and need another bag.

Persoanlly, as i dont fly with low-cost carriers ive never had the problem. Hand luggage for me to get to and from work (Canada to Saudi) every month and when i do go on holiday im always less than 20 kg (and again i dont fly low cost).

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'd make absolutely sure what's the worst case scenario, i.e. how much you have to pay if the weight exceeds the limit. That way you can figure if it's worth even trying to get on with only hand luggage.

My hand luggage has never been weighted and that's a great thing as I've always carried all my electronics (laptop + DSLR + lenses) and some clothes in there, just in case the real luggage gets lost. I also remember reading of a real photographer that had been carrying hand luggage of way over 20 kg on numerous flights without anyone checking the weight. It's down to luck on the cheap flights, but as long as you keep your cool and don't make your luggage seem heavy, chances are they aren't going to weight or even touch it.

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

I have used ryanair a few times to get to France (la rochelle) and easyjet to Bordeaux and I don't remember them weighing my hand luggage. If it looks obviously big or you are struggling with it then I don't think they take notice. I have never really been close to the limits though, even when I took my 15 inch laptop. My brother was ok with his lowepro backpack with his dslr with 2 lenses, a 15" laptop, a few magazines, and other crud.

6. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

when I went to france with easy jet last week all I they cared about was that you had 1 peice of handluggage and it sought of met the requirment, aslong as you could carry it they didnt mind.

7. McLovin9091

McLovin9091 I Have used a Dremel

As above, with easy jet when i flew in at crimbo from Cyprus they had signs up saying that there was NO limit on hand luggage as long as there was only one bag and you could put it in the overhead locker. So on the way back mine weighed about 17KG, the wifes was 10KG and my kids was also about 17KG (Obviously he can't reach the overhead lockers so i had to do it for him lol). No hold luggage and £66 quid back in ma pocket.

8. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Really appreciate the advice but the problem is Easyjet makes Ryanair look like Airforce One.

Last year we travelled to france on easyjet, railed to spain and flew back on ryanair and the difference was marked, this time we almost got stung on checked in luggage, we had one piece that was 20kg, fine on Easyjet but when we checked in on Ryanair they tried to charge us 100EUR because their limit was 15kg (we got round this by wearing all our clothes. all of them. in midsumer).

On Easyjet there is no weight limit on hand luggage, on ryanair they put this limit on and so my experience tells me what they are like so i'd really like to hear specifically about Ryan Air and London Luton if anyone has flown recently?

9. October

October Mariachi Style

I've flown with Ryan Air in the past, not recently enough to properly remember but I know I've never had anyone pay the slightest bit of attention to hand luggage. There's generally a frame-esque thingy for measuring the dimensions, if you can get it in there you're sweet.

Slight side-note, managed to skip about £100 of excess & overweight baggage charges from Aer Lingus today as our bags where just transferred from the Virgin flight :thumb: