1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Ryzen benchmark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Feb 2017.

1. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Yeah, especially with the 18 core Intel chip costing double that of the top TR chip. :D

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's ridiculous. Intel still think they can sell less cores with higher clocks. The world has changed, it doesn't work like that any more. I know for a fact AMD have a 32 core planned. I wonder what Intel would do if that happens?

Watched the very awkward vide-yer of 8 Pack. Um yah, that one was pretty awkward... Film star he is not... Did a great job of explaining why you should pay an extra £300 or so for a chip that's been delidded.... (Yes I was being sarcastic). I love it when some one makes a video selling air. Well, not air but pea soup air. You can get a delidding tool for about a tenner now (high resolution print on Ebay). I fail to see why £5 worth of tim adds £295?

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

To be fair, they do have to pay for all product failures out of their own pocket since they voided the warranty yet the Consumer rights act and so on still apply. That, plus subsidizing the sh*t chips that didn't make the cut.

But of course none of that makes a quad core cpu worth £295, much less £569.

4. Vault-Tec

The s**t chips that didn't make the cut end up in their consumer rigs. Like, the pre built rigs. So with this system you will never win the lottery because they are scraping off all of the tickets before hand.

modd1uk likes this.
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

tbh the 1600 is the one i'd buy... most of the performance of the R7s but only 2/3-1/2 the price.... bargain... sure i'd want the 1900 TR, but i'd probably buy the 1600...

6. rollo

rollo Modder

We have all saw the increased demand on websites like this, how that translates to normal sales so to speak is questionable.

AMDs next quater will give us some indication of where Ryzen sales are.

Enough I expect Vega to tank there bottom line.

7. TheMadDutchDude

The thing with those delidded chips is not to cover their bacon. If you have the proper tool, which they do, it is virtually impossible to brick a CPU by delidding it.

They are charging that much extra because they're supposed to be pre-binned and guarantee a clock. However, all of their chips get binned as they all end up in various rigs at various price points.

An extra £250+ is a joke, though. Guys... I'll delid your CPUs for £125. Cool? Wicked. Send 'em over! :D

8. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The problem isn't the miniscule risk of it being killed during the delidding process, but rather if it dies while the buyer is using it,
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...ghts-are-there-under-a-goods-contract/enacted

10. TheMadDutchDude

That's true. They come with a one year warranty, and if they die, it will be OCUK that's out of pocket from it. I didn't think of it that way.

11. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Let's not forget the amount of OCUK delidded chips that got sent back because of their poor tim application and super high temps.

I'm team red atm, really hoping Vega isn't a flop, if it's 1080 performance but costs less I'm in.

12. Vault-Tec

They are charging you for two of them though :D

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Reading between the lines it sounds like specific heavy loads are creating a hot spot within the silicon.

15. Vault-Tec

$1700 7960x manages 3200 points in Cinebench R15. $999 Threadripper 16 core manages nearly 3100 on a crap Alienware board.

16. TheMadDutchDude

So give it some proper RAM and a nice clock with very decent cooling ... and you're laughing. :D

17. Vault-Tec

Yeah Alienware will be using 2400mhz ram at best. Mine came with two 2133s naked :( And that cooler they are using can't cope. Linus got 96c, that's crazy.

I can't wait for TR reviews. Not been this enthusiastic for years, and I've already bought my upgrade :D

It's just nice though, gives us plenty to chat about :)

18. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I think they used 2666 on the alienware system.

I'm currently awaiting the lower end TR to be announced, and see what it's like in comparison to the r7 1700, I game and the plan is to start producing videos. Do I need threadripper? No, do I want it? Yes :D.

19. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

It's been almost 2 years since I last upgraded my system - can't ever remember going so long without doing so. Nothing that Intel has been doing has made me want to consider it (I currently have a 5960X).
    As I'm working a lot more from home and using image software a lot more I thought about an upgrade. My first thought was the 7900X just because it's been so long since AMD made something I wanted. I decided not to bother as the return on investment just wasn't worth it.

I'm now really interested to see what TR is going to be like. Fingers crossed it will be excellent - I really want to build an AMD system again.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Lol yep, chips like that need proper cooling, EK, Aqua Computer and so on are in for some serious cash due to AMD and Intel going nuts on the HEDT platforms.