1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Ryzen build for 1080p -1440p

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iknowgungfu, 20 Jun 2020.

1. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Hi,

I've been hanging on for nearly 2 years to build a new PC. Still on a 2500k and NVidia 560ti. Hoping you guys might be able to have a look at my list of items so far and comment.
    Current monitor is 1900x1200 but planning to replace within next year to at least 1440p. I am not expecting to run Cyberpunk or other upcoming games on Ultra settings but would like it to run "well"

Specific queries I have are:

Choice of NVME - decided to shave some money by going for PCIe 3.0. daft question - how to tell if it has DRAM?

Storage will be NVME for boot, one 7200 RPM for games and another one for my photos (recycling from old build). I have assumed I would need a mid-tower to encompass all this but if I can go smaller I would do.

Budget is between £1000-1250 ish but prefer to be closer to £1000.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I just got a B450 board, andd TBH there's few reasons tro go for a B550, so the eatra money saved gives you this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hQs2CL

I know it only has a 1TB M.2 SSD, but thats what I've been using for a year no problem. If you think you need more space down the line adding a HDD is easy. But this system will probably play Cyberpunk at fairly high settings! I think its silly blowing money on storage you're probably not going to need when you really will need GPU horsepower!

5. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

well if he is keeping a computer as long as I tend to then the no fuss upgrade option is nice so maybe it is worth the money, but then again I got a killer X470 board for 50 bucks cheaper just a few months ago, so maybe its not

how fast is that kit of ram

6. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Thanks for the suggestions so far. @Osgeld is correct in the length of time I will be keeping the PC otherwise I would go for a b450.

Everyone here has suggested I go NVidia....is there a reason for this or is it mainly to allow for raytracing? I know there were driver issues with AMD cards but was under the impression these had been sorted.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

They've been sorted for the most part, 5700 XT is a good card. From the 2060S and up Nvidia is the better performer however.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

God knows how Cyberpunk will run, personally I'd still drop the 3600X for the 3600 as suggested though.

AFAIK, 2070S and up, 2060S is slower than the XT.

9. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Thanks all. I think I may stick with AMD as by the time things have changed a bit with the new console releases (and game developers have had time to really utilise them) it'll probably be time for a new GPU anyway.

Trying to figure out which case now. As daft as it sounds I'm trying to find something that will sit on a desk but not look like it is blocking the view when you walk into the room.

My desk is against the wall and the door immediately to the right. Not sure I want a huge tower sat right there when you walk in. I quite liked the look of the Corsair 280 crystal "box" but that in itself is fairly chunky ( but not as tall).

I'll probably sack it off and get a mid tower but there is too much choice out there! Probably going to air cool even though they don't look quite as nice. Thinking maybe the meshify may suit?

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You still get 2+ generations of CPU's on B450, so that'll be 5-6 years of life right there I expect :p

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

PC-011 Dynamic.... (I'm a massive fan of them as people round here know :p)

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You can get X570 boards cheaper than that B550. Drop the 3600X - the premium isn't worth it over the 3600.

13. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Do all X570 boards have chipset fans? Not sure why but I never like the sound of that.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yep, although apparently some rarely spin.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I think so. Mine does, and it's a little bit whiny if you don't tune it with the fan control software.

16. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

From memory yes apart from the two Full cover block models (Asrock Aqua and Aorus Extreme Waterforce) and i want to say the normal Aorus Extreme although I may be wrong on that.

I don't know if they have improved things with the latest bios but the fan on my MSI X570 Unify hasn't turned on once since installing it.

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

AWD-IT has motherboard bundles. Might be worth considering if there is a bundle you want to purchase and it's cheaper than buying seperately.

Last week I bought 3600 and Asus TUF B550M wifi bundle at AWD-IT. It's working great. Asus say they have a cashback offer on these. With £40 cashback on my bundle, it makes B550 very attractive. I just hope Asus honours their cashback......

X570 having fans also put me off them. If they had clearly stated the chipset fan doesn't turn on unless absolutely required due to poor airflow, I might have looked into X570.

18. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Thanks for the advice given so far. I quite like the look of the LianLi case suggested by @Bloody_Pete

I quite liked the idea of the Corsair Crystal 280x too but not sure on air flow. Wasn't planning on having a cpu cooler other than aircooling.

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yesssss yesssssssss, come to the PC-011 Dynamic side!!!! :p You can do bottom to top cooling with it really easily :)

20. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Is it a particulatly controversial case or something? Or did you have shares?? :)